Whole house - price per person

Answered!

Whole house - price per person

G'day.

We've got a house that sleeps up to 8 guests in an amazing location. The price point is set quite high though, as it is very time consuming and expensive to clean after 6-8 guests. I'd like to lower the price to about $70 per person per night, but is there a way of doing this other than setting an "extra guest" fee?

I'm concerned that if guests see that the house sleeps 8 but that the price goes up with extra guests, they might just book for two, but bring a bunch of friends. I don't live very nearby, so after each guest stay I need to reset it for 6-8 just in case we get an instant book. 

1 Best Answer

@Catriona51  Yes, that thread is essentially what you are asking, it seems like to me. Ways to charge less for less guests in a way that is clear and results in you not having the same amount of cleaning to do as if there were 8 guests.

Yes, some hosts have had guests arriving with more than they booked for, assuming they could have as many as the max guest count (or pretending they thought that). If you don't want to go the route of having more than one listing with approprriate pricing for various numbers of guests, you can put wording in your listing to the effect that all guests must be accounted for on the booking, that extra guests not on the booking, even up to the maximum, will not be allowed on the property. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Catriona51  There are several threads on this forum with a discussion and ideas about this. You can use the search engine here to find them.

Here's one you may find helpful:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-many-beds-do-I-make-up/m-p/1568663#M362709

Hi Sarah. I did a search on "pay per guest" and "price per guest", but didn't find posts which were quite like mine. Thanks for the pointer to the how many beds question.

@Catriona51  Yes, that thread is essentially what you are asking, it seems like to me. Ways to charge less for less guests in a way that is clear and results in you not having the same amount of cleaning to do as if there were 8 guests.

Yes, some hosts have had guests arriving with more than they booked for, assuming they could have as many as the max guest count (or pretending they thought that). If you don't want to go the route of having more than one listing with approprriate pricing for various numbers of guests, you can put wording in your listing to the effect that all guests must be accounted for on the booking, that extra guests not on the booking, even up to the maximum, will not be allowed on the property. 

That is fantastic. 

Yes - I've now read the other posts, and can see what I need to do... just need to find the time to do so now. Do you recommend flagging on each listing that there is a separate listing for different amount of guests?

@Catriona51  Sure. You bizarrely can't post links in a listing, even to your other Airbnb listings, but you can state that you also have more listings for the same house, but with different guest counts and pricing and that they can see them by clicking on your profile, where all your listings are shown.

Sarah, thank you so much for your help. Just wondering: if I create a new listing (or two), what happens to 
a) the ratings for the listing?
b) superhost status? - I'll qualify at the end of this quarter, so it would be a bummer to have to start again...

@Catriona51 Each listing will have its own rating. But your ratings and stats like response time will be combined and averaged for the Superhost criteria. Superhost is attached to you as a host, not to the individual listings, but both the listings would show you as a Superhost.

But don't get too hung up on acheiving or maintaining Superhost. It can lead hosts to put up with bad guest behavior in terror of a bad review. Which is the purpose of it- to keep hosts stressed out. Superhost isn't nearly as important as one might think. 

What's important is getting nice guests and stress-free hosting.

Ahhh... fair enough. Fortunately, we've been lucky to really have had no bad guest behaviour so far.

It's a shame about the reviews as we found that, with no or few stars, guests were much less likely to book. Oh well... I guess we just start again and work out which of the listings we want the current reviews to remain with?

Thank you so much for your help - you have been a total champion

@Catriona51  You can't decide which of the listings the reviews stay with. They will stay with the current 8 person listing, which you would leave as is. You just add another listing for fewer people which won't have any reviews on the listing page yet. 

But the listing will say in the review area "This host has XX number of reviews for other listings" and if they click on that, they will see all your reviews.

And all your reviews are visible on your profile page.

You aren't "starting over". You'll just be adding another listing.