Why I ended up booking a hotel

Julien75
Level 2
Montrouge, France

Why I ended up booking a hotel

This is an open letter to Airbnb.

This past few days I was looking to book a flat in Grenoble, France (the 16th biggest French city in terms of inhabitants).

It was not possible.

I made 5 reservation in the frame of 5 days, and all I got was refusals.

It had nothing to do with my profile or my reviews.

It was simply because of laziness: hosts not updating their rental agenda.

This got me so frustrated that I ended up booking a hotel (3 stars) that was cheaper that most intended reservations, and with breakfast included!

It would be much appreciated if Airbnb was to send a reminder to hosts, encouraging them to update regularly their agenda, because utilmately it's degrading the experience and the image users have of Airbnb as a reliable service, and costing you money.

Best,

Julien B

I am copying/pasting the last conversation I had with a host, as a proof of my trials, and failures.

Hi Julien, I can understand your frustration - it's very annoying. Your reviews are very complimentary so you don't need to worry about that. My children are coming to stay for the long week - I have just updated the calendar - thanks for the reminder. But there are so many rentals in Grenoble, I'm sure you'll find one. Best of luck with your search Michele
Aujourd'hui à 11:27
Is it? Really? Its the 5th refusal I have in 5 days... I'm starting to wonder if someone left me a bad review (which would be very surprising) or if the people in Grenoble aren't very welcoming... sorry for taking it out on you but I'm tired of people not updating their flat rental agenda on airbnb, this is so rude. I'm gonna send a message to airbnb, because this is becoming endemic.
Aujourd'hui à 11:12
DEMANDE REFUSÉE AUJOURD'HUI À 09:02

Hi Julien, So sorry - the flat is not available on the days that you mention.Enjoy your stay in the city. Best Michele
Aujourd'hui à 09:01
DEMANDE ENVOYÉE HIER À 23:22
Hi Michelle, We are coming to Grenoble next week to discover the city, and we would like to book your apartment which looks lovely and cosy. Would it be available for that period? Best regards, Julien & Anel
Hier à 23:22

33 Replies 33
Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

@Julien75 Nice one! I'm a host, and also a guest. My last trip back to New Zealand was a massive headache trying to get an Airbnb host to confirm mainly due to the fact their calendars were outdated. I ended up in a very expensive 5 star hotel for a week. I could have kept looking after arrival, but I was totally disenchanted by my fellow kiwis' lack of professionalism. Then again, part of the charm of Airbnb is getting to know your host, warts and all, and it's generally a really enjoyable experience.

So, I totally empathise with you, but give it another shot. It's worth it if you get an experienced, well-reviewed (super)host 😉

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Julien75

This is only a host platform and not Airbnb itself.

But as a host I'm really surprised as well as unhappy at the apparent laziness of those hosts!

Maybe they don't have enough competition there as they do here which normally forces hosts to be on the ball. Looking at your profile, you are a good guest with recommendations, so that is indeed most probably not the reason for declining.

Some points I can think of about the hosts is that they might be new and insufficiently experienced to realise the seriousness of updating their calendar. Or blocking their calendar while discussing private plans.

A good way of judging a host is their track record of reviews as well as their star-ratings and response rate.

Also, if they are the cheapest, they may also not be the best.

I've also recently heard from various hosts here in Amsterdam trying to book places elsewhere that they had similar unprofessional experiences with hosts. Sad, because it negatively impacts Airbnb AND its other hosts that really do their best!

Andrea

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1835186?

Silvana5
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

Hello Julien. Sorry to hear about your experience. Speaking from the other side of the fence here.  I had a booking request last week.  I am positive i blocked the calendar due to renovation.  Somehow it opened up by itself. I'm not sure if that was the case here but AirBnB site has had many glitches lately.  

report technical bugs to https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback!!

I don't have the same problem, but I did try to get some help from the link that Anna provided.  That link, unfortunately, only allows you to report a problem and not resolve a problem.  If anyone can direct me to the link where I can open a problem ticket, I would appreciate it.  I can't find it.

You can call them, tweet  or facebook. They do not do tickets.

David

The only times I refused a booking, i had serious problems, either the property was going to be demolished soon, or I had an issue and could not host. And I cancelled EARLY  like a month before the tourist arrives. 

Last moment cancellations I dont do even when I have a problem (well not an extenuating one I mean). I usually talk to the guest and let him/her know that I have a problem, for example his room is not available but we have a couch in living room which is comfy. Most cases the guest accepted the change, plus I offered a special price deal.

Most guests I found are flexible. The ones who aren't, are bad guests. There are bad hosts and bad guests too out there.

I had this issue once, I had asked like 4 listings in a given area and they all refused, or expired. It was frustrating. Thats why I prefer booking the ones ''with instant booking'' even when they are sometimes more pricey. 

In Airbnb its more about the experience and meeting locals and you end up paying for that too:) Its not for free. Its wholly different from staying at a hotel. I know thats why we all prefer Airbnb. Its more humane than hotels.

But in terms of practicalities the corporate world still has the best (and fastest) solutions....

If you use the filter option and find a superhost with instant book, you are reasonably safe that the booking will go through and that the host is professional.  If not on Instant Book, look at the response rate.  "Within an hour" and you are reasonably sure to get a quick reply.  High response rate is a quality sign too.

@Marit-Anne0    When I do a search the the Response Rate is no longer visible on listings.  Maybe for more push to IB.

@Ange2

It is visible on my listing - at the very bottom.

@Marit-Anne0  Thanks,  I will check again it used to be under the pricing area, very visible!

But @Family-Andreou-Leonida0, if you book with IB you are more likely to get cancelled, in my opinion (because they can't decline so they cancel instead), but I am yet to see stats on this. Recently I actually asked for stats because I am really interested in it.

@Julien75, really sorry the Grenoblians are not up to scratch! A great many hosts are, and I hope that you persevere. If Airbnb was the BEST booking option for all those hosts and they were to take it more seriously, the calendars would be spot on. My calendar is up to date 99.999999999% of the time, and so are a lot of other hosts. And AIrbnb is the best option, still.

She wont be cancelled if she choose superhost IB, becouse you cant be superhost if you make even one canselaion during one year!