Why are there no consequences for users you don't give reviews?

Answered!
Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Why are there no consequences for users you don't give reviews?

I've experienced this both as a host and a guest.

1 Best Answer

@Gwen19  Why are you under the impression that just because the guests didn't leave you a review that your review of them wasn't published for other hosts to see? That's not true. Any review you write will be published, regardless of whether the guest leaves one or not.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

@Ann489 Yes, it's not something we have any control over!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Guests should not be dinged for this kind of thing, we want guests to have a happy experience with Airbnb throughout so they stay with the platform. I have in the past suggested (remember Host Voice, anyone?) that if Airbnb wants to increase the guest review percentage, the way to do it is with a carrot. As in for example: ''Review your stay for a chance to win a $1000 accommodation package''.  Would be peanuts to Airbnb, could be an annual draw, cheap at the price. Would create great goodwill and more reviews.

This becomes a better idea the more I think about it, so am tagging the forum team as well in case they think it has any merit.

@Lizzie, @Stephanie , @Quincy 

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Except all guests aren't using properties in good faith. And those guests that do this get away without other hosts knowing this is a feature of their stays. 

In my case, I was told to ask them to leave, or call the police. For complicated reasons, these weren't  options I was willing to take. However, when I did write the review, I stated that my property wasn't used as described - a warning to other hosts that they may encounter issues with these guests. When they didn't leave a review, I was dinged for losing a review and no hosts on the site have an inkling that anything dodgy went on with these guests.

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

On top of that, I would have been dinged by AirBnB if I turned down their request to rent my property to these guests. 

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Another time, I had a guest that booked for one night, two people. He asked for check in first thing in the morning, which I was able to accommodate. When the guest showed up, they brought 24 extra people, as they planned to have their Christmas party at my luxury beach front rental. 

If someone used your property in such a way, wouldn't you want to warn other hosts of this deception?

@Gwen19  Why are you under the impression that just because the guests didn't leave you a review that your review of them wasn't published for other hosts to see? That's not true. Any review you write will be published, regardless of whether the guest leaves one or not.

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

TY. Now I know.