Why can't I Get a Fair Refund

Lara309
Level 1
Lagos, Nigeria

Why can't I Get a Fair Refund

My Host Dennis, at Salem in Virginia kept a very untidy house. He kindly offered to pick me up, but I got a rude shock when I got into his car and the seats and floor of the car were filled with dog shedding. He apologized for the state of the car and I hoped his house would be better. I should have known and cancelled right there - but I was desperate! 

I think he took advantage of my desperation. I went to VT orientation with my son and there was no accommodation at Blacksbourg  and Christiansbourg. I lost my hotel accommodation because I missed the payment date. I had never been to Virginia before and I think Dennis knew. His house was too far away from VT but he offered to take me to and fro for a $20 fare.

When he showed me my room, it looked clean, but I had a hard time breathing. The sheets were rough and smelt used. The blanket smelt washed but was damp. Dennis ripped off the blanket and said he would put in back in the dryer. At this point, my first instinct was to cancel immediately and ask him to take me back. His house was too far and I felt vulnerable.  But what did it for me was I could not go to sleep at night. The door of the room had no lock or latch. I felt unsafe and my allergies flared up making me sneeze and cough. At midnight, I sent Dennis a gentle note that I would be checking out in the morning.

The next morning he drove me to the hotel where I was now to spend the rest of the 3 nights - for a fare of $10.

I expected to get a full refund for 4 nights or at least for the 3nights I did not stay at Dennis' house. For the whole reservation, I paid a total of $451.53, but he only refunded me $92.67.  This feels like robbery to me, especially because I had to suffer as I did with my allergic reactions for another 3 days.

The refund clause says that I could get full refund for the nights I did not stay: "If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the nightly rate for the nights not spent 24 hours after cancellation are fully refunded." 

I have reported the case to Airbnb Resolution Centre, but it seems they are weighed on host's side. This is definitely my worst Airbnb experience. I have decided never to use Airbnb again, but want my refund before I close my account. It is sad that with Airbnb you have no way of knowing what you're getting; there are no standards and hosts can keep their house in whatever state and still get paid for it.

With hotels you know what you're getting when you stay in a 3star or 5star.  With Airbnb, it seems we are at the whim of house owners/hosts.

I would like to know how you think I could get a fair refund from this host. Thanks.

14 Replies 14

@Lara309 The refund policy you quoted only applies to hosts who choose the "Flexible" cancellation policy. If this listing had a "Moderate" policy (which this host was probably using), you'd be entitled to a 50% refund for the nights not used, minus Airbnb's service fee.  Under the "Strict" policy, there's no refund.

It is unfortunate that your allergies flared up, but this is not generally considered a "travel issue" that would warrant an exemption from the host's cancellation policy.  Guestrooms in shared homes are not required to have locks. The location of every property is clearly indicated on the map when you view the listing, and it's your responsibility as the guest to choose a location that is suitable for your needs and accessible by your means of transport. It's true that people's private homes are not standardized in the same manner as hotels, which is why it's important to read through a listing carefully and take responsibility for your choices.

Thanks Andrew.

I have stayed with hosts with dogs before but those seem to know how to clean their houses, especially the spaces they put their guests in. 

However, as you recommended, I will not only take responsibility but take charge by sticking with hotels and retreat centres where standards of cleanliness are predictable.

I am a writer and always looking for quiet and serene locations - which was why I got had by Dennis. His location was tempting and made me lose sight of every other detail.  I even considered coming back for a month....until I got inside!!!

But no more Airbnb for me!!! If I want  a 3, 4 or 5 star level of service and conditions, I know exactly where to go.

Thanks and best wishes.

@Lara309 wrote:

Thanks Andrew.

I have stayed with hosts with dogs before but those seem to know how to clean their houses, especially the spaces they put their guests in. 

However, as you recommended, I will not only take responsibility but take charge by sticking with hotels and retreat centres where standards of cleanliness are predictable.

I am a writer and always looking for quiet and serene locations - which was why I got had by Dennis. His location was tempting and made me lose sight of every other detail.  I even considered coming back for a month....until I got inside!!!

But no more Airbnb for me!!! If I want  a 3, 4 or 5 star level of service and conditions, I know exactly where to go.

Thanks and best wishes.

Not convinced you were "had" by Dennis.

As Andrew said, checking the location was suitable was really your responsibility and it sounds as though he spent a lot of time driving you around. It is a bit much to then complain about the state of his car.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lara309   It is always a disappointment for hosts to hear of unhappy guests as most of us try very hard to provide a quality accommodation.  Unfortunately, I doubt others on this forum can be of much help without being able to view the listing.  A refund is based on the unused nights and the cancellation policy. If your host had a moderate cancellation policy, you would not get 100% refund for each day.  Also, Air BNB does not refund their fees.

I would hope you selected a listing that had many good reviews rather than only select by price.  Air BNB listings often exceed the quality of the motels and hotels in the area for a lower rate, but the guest has to shop smartly.

Also, if you suffer from allergies, it would be best to go to a hotel rather than use a shared space that might cause a reaction.  

You are right Linda, thanks for your thoughts.

I have decided NO MORE AIRBNB for me!!!

I am better in a hotel where standards are predictable and I am not at the mercy of any host and their personal standard of cleanliness. 

It's Airbnb's loss and their hosts, as I am right now spending a week in a hotel in Maryland.

On a writing sabbatical and  was hoping to stay for a month in a suitable Airbnb - even considered Dennis'. But that's never going to happen!!!

Thanks again.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lara309  How were the reviews for this place? Did other guests mention the general grubbiness and dog hair? Or did it not have any reviews?

Of course you are free to never stay in another Airbnb again. But it's not true that you never know what to expect. If a host has scores of reviews attesting to how clean the place was, it's a pretty good bet that it is. (And the cleanliness of hotels is debatable, too- I read that hotels normally only wash the bedspreads twice a year and my friend's 5 year old discovered a used condom under the bed of the hotel room where they staying

)I think it's also a good idea for guests, even if they are instant booking, to communicate with the host through Airbnb messaging and get a feel for the host and bring up any questions or concerns you may have.

I can tell you that while I have a dog and she is in fact a heavy shedder, and it's a constant battle to deal with the dog hair, I am vigilant about it. And she never goes in the guest room, she actually prefers to be outside than in the house at all. So if you ever come to Mexico and want a quiet place and a super clean room with no allergens, look me up 🙂

And sorry you had a disappointing experience.

Lara309
Level 1
Lagos, Nigeria

Thanks for the offer Sarah, never been to Mexico, but if I do I will look you up.

I have stayed with hosts who had dogs before - even one just before Dennis, so don't think the dog was the problem and didn't see it as a problem until I got there. The problem was that this host simply was not or did not clean his house! I could barely breathe!

Glad I checked out the next morning, though lost money doing that, but I could have lost more than money had I stayed on.

Thanks again.

@Lara309  Yeah, unfortunately some people just have no idea how to clean, have low standards, or simply don't see the dirt. That's fine if it's just a matter of it being your own home, but people like that shouldn't be hosting or else they should be hiring a competent cleaner. What you described would also gross me out and cause me to leave, even if I didn't find that I could barely breathe.

It's definitely one or all of the three in this case!

Thanks for understanding Sarah. That means a lot.

Airbnb should a way of testing standards.....like hotels do.

Sometimes reviews are not accurate, because what is dirty to me may not be to someone else. But if a house is rated as a 2Star listing as you have in hotels, I know not to go there!

Margie74
Level 2
Greensburg, PA

I had a problem with [listing address hidden]

We stayed here for a week in July. When I booked I was specific that I wanted a clean, private, safe place for small children and 2 small dogs (paid $450 extra). The pictures show a beautiful yard, private, fenced in which is just what we needed. When we got there, they had removed all foliage and the fence and replaced it with an orange construction net that was falling down. The bricks were all torn up and giant holes filled in with stone. This was so disappointing. We get the family together once a year and our place was horrible. The pool area was unsafe, filthy, dirty outdoor furniture. No privacy at all. The party people from the diagonal house looked into our back yard area every day and night as they stood there drinking alcohol and having parties. So not only filthy, unsafe, no privacy at all. With the wall gone the kids could walk out or trip on the construction debris as well as the dogs that I paid a considerable amount to bring along. The gas grill was empty. The kitchen did not have many items. The beach chairs were all broken. What beach items that existed were missing parts or simply broken and placed back. The additional room that is separate from the house had a horrible odor and mold all throughout and the small refrigerator in it did not work. This was to be used for insulin for my father. The linens were a minimum and very worn. Not really enough for all. There is no place to put your clothing in any of the bedrooms, so live out of suitcase. On top of all of this, there were rats that invaded the outside (hopefully not inside) every evening. We could not even go to the outdoor area at all. Rats everywhere. I asked for money back when we got there for the construction and the lack of safety/privacy etc. I got no response. No response when I requested maintenance supply gas for grill, no response when I asked for refrigerator repairs, no response for the fence or unsafe outdoor area. I contacted the owner, the real estate company as well as the maintenance email that was given to us. The television don't work either half the time. These conditions really ruined our trip. We don't see one another often and wanted to have a nice clean place. Upon contacting the owner, real estate, maintenance and getting no response, I knew once they had our money that was all that I would hear from these people. It's a shame that no one cared. I understand that construction needs to take place, but when unsafe this needs to happen without tenants

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Lara309   The professional property management company lists 10 properties so I was not able to see what your review looked like but with all that went wrong I would imagine you rated it as a 1,  Additionally, did you contact Air BNB and seek a refund?  Did you remain at the listing for the full reservation?  Did you message through the Air BNB message system?  I ask these questions because you could have some recourse with Air BNB.

Additionally, professioinal property management companies often belong to local business associations and you could launch a complaint there as well.

@Margie74  That sounds truly awful. But what a guest is supposed to do if they arrive to find the place not as advertised or dirty, or anything else that makes it unacceptable is to right away contact Airbnb, explain what the issues are, have them cancel your reservation, and try to find you another suitable place. Contacting a host like this to request a refund is pointless, as you found out. he obviously doesn't care.

The way Airbnb doesn't work is to just continue to stay, which indicates that it was acceptable to you on some level (I realize it wasn't, but as you had a large group it would have been inconvenient to wait around while Airbnb tried to rehome you in a suitable place), then expect a refund after the fact.

You contacted the host, the maintenance people, real estate, but you didn't do the one thing that was supposed to be done- contact Airbnb. 

Well that's exactly what I did with airbnb and with the real estate company as well as the maintenance contact that they gave me.  I did this on day 1.  I received no return email or phone calls at all from any of the above.  I sent a note to host on airbnb.  I did not know that there was anyone else to contact and struck out with the 3 I did contact.  

Margie74
Level 2
Greensburg, PA

Like I said I didn't know we could do this (relocate) and with 2 dogs, kids, and a diabetic elderly parent all traveling it was very hectic and we needed to get them situated.  Was a terribly long drive, but some in the party don't fly.  Anyway, I will know for the future.  

Thank you, 

Margie