Why card is charged before host confirmed?

Answered!
Artem12
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

Why card is charged before host confirmed?

This is a question to Airbnb.

1. I found a suitable property for my dates.

2. Airbnb asked me if I want to pay in two parts or in full - I selected in full.

3. My card was charged by Airbnb for the full amount.

4. I got an e-mail from Airbnb that my reservation is confirmed.

5. I bought non-refundable airline tickets.

6. I told my friends that I would not need to stay with them.

7. I got a message from the host saying the apartment is not available for those dates.

All of the above happend within an hour or so. So I presume the host knew that those dates are not available pretty much right away. My question is to Airbnb: Why was my card charged BEFORE confirming with the host that his apartment is available on those specific days? Why not wait 30 min - 1 hour, and after the host confirms, charge my card and send me e-mail confirmation of my reservation? Now my money is stuck for a few days, then I don't know when will I get my full refund to use this money to book something else. Upset with Airbnb!

Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Artem12 this host behaved badly, by allowing instant booking but not keeping the calendar up to date. Did the host officially cancel your booking, or just message you saying the dates aren't available? If the former, Airbnb will penalize the host; if the latter, they may be trying to get you to cancel to avoid the penalties; don't do it. I would call Airbnb CS to complain and expedite a refund.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Artem12 this host behaved badly, by allowing instant booking but not keeping the calendar up to date. Did the host officially cancel your booking, or just message you saying the dates aren't available? If the former, Airbnb will penalize the host; if the latter, they may be trying to get you to cancel to avoid the penalties; don't do it. I would call Airbnb CS to complain and expedite a refund.

Thank you very much for your help, Lisa! I was able to call Airbnb and expedite a refund. However, it may take up to 15 business days to see the money back on my card. Oh, well )

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Artem12

most hosts have "instant book" option enabled but it doesn't mean you have to book instantly. You can always contact host before booking to be sure it doesn't happen again.

I would never instant book without contact the host first.

Good point. Thank you!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Branka-and-Silvia0 ... virtually all of our guests instant-book and I can't recall any ever contacting me first.  @Artem12 if the host is a "super-host" then you know they have a record of not cancelling.

@Lisa723

I know, I am the host with instant book enabled but I would never instant book because I want to avoid the problem @Artem12 has faced.... and all the other problems like non responsive or rude host etc....  It is maybe rare but it happens. I like to play safe 🙂

Unfortunately, my host was a super-host and that probably caught me off guard... Oh, well... Still waiting for my money back

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Artem12  If you selected another listing with the help of Air BNB rep, I believe you could have the amount you paid for the first place used for the replacement place.  Might be worth exploring, should you find another suitable listing.

I have found another listing which I like, but it's not from the ones recommended by Airbnb rep. And I just send a request, still waiting for response. That would be great to use the money I have already paid 

Taylor210
Level 1
Tyndall Air Force Base, FL

Yeah this is crazy I book to condo today and all the sudden my credit card was hit for $231 within 15 minutes the owner of the condo I guess decided not to rent. 

I tried to book another condo and luckily that owner decided to rent to us.

But guess what now my credit cards declined because air BNB says they can't return my money for 5 to 15 Days.

And we were told we were not be charged when we were denied rental.

5 minutes later I got another email for a receipt for that charge.

And air BNB won't do the right thing and set up my other reservation because day tied up my money for up to 15 days.

What kind of business is that to run taking money out of someone's account before they're even approved for the services they requested.

That's absurd that money could be sit in my account growing interest instead it's in limbo and I can't even get a reservation now because of air BN b's poor customer service

@Taylor210    Challenge the charge with your credit card company?  15 days is ludicrous.

My bank which is who my credit card is through charges a $40 fee to stop payment and challenge which is even more stupid

Matter of fact it's like this who would want to use a company to reserve a rental if it's a possibility of that you're denied the rental and you still have $300 stolen from you for 15 days. 

So on that criteria if I was able to make 15 reservations in a row and all three of them were getting denied all the sudden my credit card with a $900 worth of Frozen money on it for 15 days.

I think it is poor judgment for a company like Airbnb to charge a credit card anybody's credit card before the owner has confirmed the reservations completely.

It's terrible for the customer and really I'm probably going to make sure I do everything I can do to spray Airbnb about this until they change it or until I get reimbursed for my time and interest for my money missing from my account basically.

This is my first time using Airbnb and what a terrible taste I have in my mouth.

I received an email that said sorry the host will not rent for those days not to worry there was no charge for your inquiry.

3 minutes later another email with the receipt for the charge they said I wouldn't be getting charged.

Here's some pictures of those emails and I will post he's on like everywhere I can this is crazy

and now my wife is crying like crazy because my credit card is getting declined and we can't get this reservation made in time for our honeymoon . So I've got a very bad taste in my mouth right now

Screenshot_20190612-193235_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20190612-193300_Gmail.jpg