Why charge a fee for use of outdoor grill?

Francisco379
Level 1
Oak Park, IL

Why charge a fee for use of outdoor grill?

I'll be staying in a home that wants $73 to be allowed to use the outdoor grill during my stay.  Why do hosts charge an extra fee for use of an outdoor appliance such as a grill?

4 Replies 4

Different host Different Rule  Bro 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Francisco379  Did the host mention the availability of the grill in the listing description under amenities. If they did, without stating that there would be a charge for it, that is not okay. If it's not mentioned, and you only discovered there was one when you arrived, then I guess the host can charge extra for use of it if they want. $73 does seem a little steep, though, but I guess it depends on the cost of the propane or briquets.

@Francisco379

I'd assume because the cost and time required for clean up depending on whether the outdoor grill was used or not will differ and the host does not want guests who don't plan on using the grill to pay for additional clean up. But like @Sarah977 says, the host should make all this very clear in the listing description (that guest will be charged extra for use of certain amenities).

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Francisco379 I have a Weber grill I supply at no cost and it includes the LP tank. But the state the grill gets left in occassionly can really add to cleaning costs if they have to waste an hour or more cleaning just the grill. I do think $73 is too high a cost to charge.