Why do I need to buy Ebay Gift cards to pay for my reservation?

Why do I need to buy Ebay Gift cards to pay for my reservation?

I'm trying to make a reservation, but I'm apparently supposed to pay with Ebay Gift Cards? Is this a common practice on Airbnb? Or is it a choice made by the host? This is my first time trying to use Airbnb or Ebay cards and talking with the host and Airbnb representative is sending up red flags. My Airbnb account won't let me add a payment method, either, which I was very surprised about. I expected this website to work like any other hotel site but apparently not. If anyone has any insights or advice, it would be much appreciated! I don't want to buy $1,000 worth of non-refundable gift cards and use them on Airbnb only to get scammed.

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brandy51  I never heard of such a thing. Did you find this host on the official Airbnb site or somewhere else? Can you post a link to the listing? It defintely sounds like you're being scammed.

Wilson96
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I believe this is a scam. Is this host asking to pay with ebay gift cards? Airbnb accepts all major credit cards and paypal.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Brandy51  my god that smell a big scam anyone who will ask you to paid outside ABB flag the profile and contact ABB immediately 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Brandy51 

Ask yourself one simple question, how will Airbnb get there fee if you pay by "eBay cards", it a scam plain and simple, do not engage further period.

https://airbnb.co-superb-and-amazing-two-bedrooms-two-baths.com/1/listing/152/view-glht3bjz/XVqo6prQ...

This is the link I was given. I was suspicious when I saw that it ends in .co rather than .com. I woke up this morning to several emails from the "Host" asking for me to confirm payment because he'd already booked the reservation for  me and that I needed to pay the invoice immediately since it "expires" in 24 hours, something I've never heard of.

@Brandy51 This is not an AirBNB URL. This is a scam. DO NOT SEND THEM any money. In fact, I would stop communicating with them at all.

Only use the real AirBNB url which should be much closer to  www.airbnb.com

@Brandy51  Wow...that's clearly a fake site!  SCAM! Do NOT pay them anything! This page is clearly designed to look like Airbnb, but they made a ton of "mistakes".   For one, Airbnb does NOT list the price of a property as "per month".    They do NOT send invoices, nor have an invoice button on their page.  He is supposed to be a "Superhost" and only has five reviews?   And, of course, the URL is NOT an Airbnb address.  Stop communicating with this scammer!

PS: Your personal information, including your full name and address are visible on this guy's page for everyone to view!

Also, this web domain is registered in Panama to a "business" called Namecheap,

Inc.   

Please report this scam here:   https://www.econsumer.gov

I've already ceased contact and reported it to Airbnb. Customer service is assisting me.

https://airbnb.co-amazing-spacious-two-bedrooms-two-baths.com

This link wants 1000 bucks in ebay gift cards... hmmmmm.

@Brandy51 wrote:

I've already ceased contact and reported it to Airbnb. Customer service is assisting me.