Why do host live on property?

Shemaka0
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Why do host live on property?

I have booked twice and both times the guest lived on premise. First home was a house of horror and the second was much worse. I would just like to say... if you live in the home CLEAN IT!!! Don’t lie and if you have dogs mention the breed. This lady has a pit bull that barked immediately entering the home, jumped on the bed. The first home dirty carpets, moldy bathrooms. As a host some of you all MUST do better. Folks are trying to get away from home only to get “mugged” by AIRBNB hostess. No No..! I just can’t I think I will take a bow and sit the next few rounds out. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Shemaka0 

I am sorry you have had bad experiences with the shared accommodation that you booked. What were the reviews like at the accommodation you booked. Did they mention concerns about the issues you found?

It is rather unfair to tar all the millions of homeshare hosts with the same brush because you have had two difficult experiences.

As it says on the booking confirmation you receive, if the accommodation you are given is not in line with the photos and listing description you booked, you should contact the host to see if they can resolve issues such as cleanliness or missing amenities.

The host should then offer to correct the issue/s. If they can't/won't, you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking and help you find an alternative.

If you are booking a listing with a pet, owners often include a photo of it in their listing. If they don't and you want to know about which particular dog they have then I would message the host before you book and ask.

By the way I see from one of your reviews that you appear to have bought your children to stay who weren't on the original booking. If you do want additional people to stay, you really should notify the host and add them to the booking before you arrive.

It sounds as if you would be better staying in a whole listing, which would better suit your needs.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shemaka0  That's a really weird question- "Why do hosts live on property?", and shows a complete lack of understanding about Airbnb. There are many home-shares on Airbnb- people either renting out private bedrooms in their homes, a private suite in their homes, or a separate dwelling on the property where they live. Plenty of guests are fine with this type of listing, and some actually prefer them. Then there are listings which are entire homes or apartments with an off-site host. An entire place will usually be more expensive than a home share, obviously.

As a guest, you have a choice of which type of accomodation you book. I'm sorry you've had 2 bad experiences with home-shares, but that has to do with either the host not accurately describing what they are listing, and failing to disclose things like their barking dog, or your failure as a guest to thoroughly read the description of what you are booking, or not bothering to read the reviews.

Whether your stay experience was good or bad doesn't have to do with whether the host was hosting in their home or lived off-site.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Shemaka0 

With that review on your profile, you're probably already likely to be sitting the next few rounds out anyway, so problem solved.