Why does my booking change on check out?

Bryan496
Level 1
Stockton, CA

Why does my booking change on check out?

Hi, 

I am trying to book a 2-week stay at a nice little cottage in the mountains, but the price changes by $150+ dollars once I log in and try to check out. 😞

Before Logging in and checking out                                       When I try to book

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 8.08.48 PM.png.                                   Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.38.32 PM.png

Any ideas on whats going on here and how I can book the place for the advertised price? Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bryan496  This does seem odd and actually only Air BNB staff can answer your question about the booking cost change.  However, something that can affect the estimated versus actual cost if the estimated was based on general cost versus actual dates.  What you will see at first is a nightly rate that reflects a general average cost.  Once you enter dates then the system picks up the actual nightly rate for those dates.  Does that make more sense?  If not, contact Air BNB to ensure there is no system error.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bryan496 Have you upped the number of people between looking and booking? Also are both in US dollars?

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

One guess, that I have experienced a lot, is that usually most hosts set up calendar using smart pricing that Airbnb will decide the price of each day. So most of time the price is different between days but when you search for listing it only shows you the price of the nearest available one day. The initial estimate might be based on this but the actual price when you see at check out might be showing the actual price of the 14 days you selected.

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

Looks like the host removed the 22% discount.  

Did you contact the host prior to booking?  If so, they may have seen the discount and removed it.   Sometimes the system will double up on discounts (i.e. promotional 10% off + 12% off weekly stays) which really wasn't the intention of the host.

Another option would be to reach out to the host and see if they'll honor the original fee for the nightly stay.  If they agree, they would send you a 'special offer' with the correct amount.

Best of luck!

@Bryan496