Why does my one bad review show up first.

Danielle202
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Why does my one bad review show up first.

I recently received a bad review. It was a situation I couldn't control and I completely understand why my guests weren't happy.  They chose to leave a bad review despite my apologies and that is completely their prerogative.  I've received 5 positive reviews since and they're not showing up.  The first review that shows up when you see my listing is this one bad review.  Has anyone else had this happen? 

9 Replies 9
Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Danielle202 Ouch! It's bad all right 😞 It's the 4th one for me when I look at your listing, it depends where the potential guest is coming from. So US guests would only see it further down. Canadian guests, however, will see it 1st until you get a better Canadian review.

That makes sense - glad to hear you're not seeing it first. But I had a glowing review just after his from a Canadian guest and it doesn't seem to be showing up *at all*, along with the other more recent (positive reviews).  

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

It's not the first review I see either - and your response and offer of a free stay as a way to make up for the bad experience is admirable, and says a lot about the kind of host you are. Not to mention all of your good reviews and super host status. Everyone has a bad day and you handled it well.  

Dale-And-Paul0
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

I am dealing with EXACTLY the same situation right now.  Multiple calls, still after a solid month and 4 new reviews, the back one is still at the top.  I think something is wrong with their software, it's not updating like it should and everybody at Airbnb are completely clueless.  So not sure what to do now but I can't let it go on much longer.

Tina212
Level 1
Saint-Gervais-sur-Mare, France

I just had my first guest. Terrible review she says it was a con and I had spiders. She paid 129 euros for two for a whole week. I upgraded her to the whole house. She expected me to pay for her taxi and train fare! That meant I would have earned 60 euros for the whole week. She arrived with no food and tried to brow beat into agreeing to pay their travel. We live rural and yes we have spiders wild boar etc it's in the mountains. I have never had a bad review from any other site I advertise with and feel bitterly disappointed 

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Just keep hosting...the more great reviews you get the further down those few bad ones will be.  All you can do as a host is the best you can do....most people stay because of price point and I think everyone understands reviews are mostly opinions.  You just never know what people are thinking.  I"ve hosted over 100 people, most of them very happy.  This past weekend a guy was supposed to stay-he checked in, I gave him the key- and five minutes later he puts the key back and never returns...saying "I guess it's not all that bad.' ?  What the heck lol.  Hopefully he leaves a review to tell me how he found the place so objectionable that he didn't even want to sleep there while over 100 people found my place quiet suitable.  I guess my point is the reviews you cannot fixate over because you cannot please everyone.  The more you host, the more those unfavorable reviews will disappear.  

Thank you for this, just received my first bad review and i was very upset, but after dealing with this individual there is no way I am going to make her happy, she love our home and all the little extras we provided.  I had guest over myself on a Saturday night for a dinner party and we apparenly go too loud on a Saturday night at 10pm my dinner party only lasted unil 11 and then it was quiet.  I understood they wanted to go to bed but it was my Saturday also. We are in our late 50's wasn't like a rip roaring party, but my space in lower level of our home.  But makes me feel good just to hear so many that have had similar experiences with their fisrt bad review.   Airbnb doesn't seem to want to help either, I was a superhost and because of this one review i guess Im starting all over.  

Don't let it worry you solution any  guest who is nasty or not a good guest,  also gets a bad review.  We also get to be honest.  I have had guests ask me basically,  try to Black mail me. I had guests be really rude last day of stay.  Guests have said to me aren't you afraid  of a bad review just to try to get refund or discount. If  the guest wasn't a good guest can also can receive a bad review ......  More than likely no one will book... Once I explained to the guest it works both ways because I can also reply back.  It stopped there dishonesty. I don't   book guests with bad reviews, or Rude to other hosts or nit picky.  As host u can respond.  

A--J--Family-And-Hosts-0
Level 2
California, United States

I also read guests reviews if there overly picky or complaining I don't let them book...