Why is Airbnb allowing guests to make bookings in UK when our government has banned the use of B&Bs, self-catering, camping etc

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why is Airbnb allowing guests to make bookings in UK when our government has banned the use of B&Bs, self-catering, camping etc

I am appalled that Airbnb and other STRs are continuing to allow UK bookings over the next three months when our government has put in place a ban against the opening of B&Bs, self-catering, camping, travel to second homes etc, to try and help the spread of the Coronavirus.

It is clear that sadly some UK Airbnb hosts are ignoring this advice. Surely Airbnb and other STRs should do their bit and block UK hosts from taking bookings during the ban?

If UK hosts want to take bookings for local NHS workers they can do this by contacting local hospitals and health services and ask to be added to the list of accommodation providers.

Please UK hosts please stop encouraging the spread of the virus by keeping your places open. Tourist areas such as Devon, Cornwall, the Scottish Highlands and Islands, and the Lake District and some seaside resorts are located in areas with more limited health facilities. Hosts please think of the communities you live in or host in and adhere to the ban.

28 Replies 28
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

We were sent this yesterday by Airbnb. End f the second paragraph certainly says that accommodation businesses should close so I think keeping ours open for essential workers only is the right call at present.

Hi Mike And Jane,
We want to update you about the latest UK Government advice related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

On 23 March, the UK Government directed that people must stay at home apart from essential travel or they may face penalties. This came into effect immediately and includes all non-essential travel within the UK. The UK Government has also issued further guidance to businesses and premises to close, which covers accommodation businesses.

This step follows the advice issued by the UK Government on 17 March, advising against all non-essential overseas travel, for an initial period of 30 days. For the latest travel advice from the UK Government, visit their website. Please read this guidance and consider how it applies to your personal circumstances.

Let's do our part to keep everyone safe.

Thanks,
The Airbnb Team

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah that's great initiative @Mike-And-Jane0 - I'll go back to the team. Is this something UK hosts would like to Airbnb promoting more? We did a similar thing with the AU bush fires, and Covid-19 in Italy. 

Let me know,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes that would be great there are still quite a few hosts that are flouting this and still offering accommodation.

Quite honestly the easiest way Airbnb could manage this is to block UK hosts not offering whole listings to key workers from accepting bookings during say April and May, but this is a rather draconian measure.

I just wish hosts would abide by these new regulations for all our sakes. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen3 @Stephanie @Mike-And-Jane0 @Huma0  we are currently going through lock down here in New Zealand as you know.

The saddest thing is hearing stories of people who have been displaced and told to "Go home to your own country" which I personally think WHO must be held to account for as people would have been better off staying put, especially those on longer term visa permits.

The spiel used by the UK Government is similar to what we were told and at a guess is the directive from WHO.

Lots of people have struggled to get flights from one part of the world to others as they have been blocked due to border controls.

Hopefully the UK will learn and use guidance from seeing the way other countries have operated during this upheaval and disruption to world peace and harmony.

You will find many have absolutely no where to stay and short term rentals are more important than ever.

It's a fundamental Human Right to have shelter and go about one's life without dictatorship.

@Stephanie, it may be worthwhile for ABB to write to your Government and The Queen as they do listen and follow up on things, especially for those who are in part of the Commonwealth 🙂

You must remember you are coming into Spring so hopefully the sun will shine more.

You will find there will be Government restrictions imposed going about ordinary life.

The advice to stay home should  really only apply to those who are feeling unwell not the wider community.

There's to many variables and a complete lack of consideration of varying factors in the methodologies been used, as in a blanket approach has been used, instead of a more individual approach, including historical political issues lying in the background

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

I agree. This situation is not black and white and not all guests fall into the 'holidaymaker' category (most of my guests don't under normal circumstances). There are many, many other reasons why someone would need an STR, including some of the ones you have stated, and some that I have stated. You can book an Airbnb for months at a time, so how do you define STR as opposed to LTR?

There are still people who need somewhere to go!

The first of my guests to vacate was studying here. She had several months to go, but was told by her university to return 'home' to the USA. Said guest ABSOLUTELY did not want to go. In fact, she was devastated, not least because she does not have a home in the US anymore. Her parents live in India, but she was not allowed to go to them either. She wanted to stay here, where she could study from home for whatever period necessary.

For the time being, this WAS her home. Like I said, not all guests are on vacation. In the end, she had to go stay with her uncle because there was nowhere else for her to go. She thought this ridiculous because the location she had to go to had a high percentage of elderly residents at high risk. She also spent two full days trying to get to get there, putting herself and who knows how many others at risk. Given that she had recently been travelling in more affected areas (taken a short holiday), she should have been social distancing, which would have been easier for her to do here. Yes, that might have put me, her host, at risk, but how many others have been put at risk by forcing her to spend two days travelling?

Some common sense is needed when weighing up each situation.

Alex6557
Level 1
Abdon, GB

I agree. Those doing the right thing will block off their calendar but there are always unscrupulous hosts and guests who will take advantage of the situation. I know we could all do with the income but one has to do the right thing at a time like this. Airbnb should make some changes to prevent inappropriate bookings.

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

We're in a similar situation here in Vermont. The Governor has issued an executive order banning all lodging activity with the exception of first responders, medical personnel coming in to assist and local families who need to isolate a family member. It went into effect March 25th at 5pm. There should have been no new rentals after that, but hosts here are still renting away. We'll never flatten this curve if all of this travel doesn't stop now. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helen3  @Huma0 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Alex6557 

I just came across a new  site set up by an orthopaedic surgeon kicked out by his landlady  who feared catching the Virus.... So he set up https://www.rooms4nhs.com 

This article explains: https://newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/18354474.surgeon-asked-leave-landlady-covid-19-fears-sets-lo... 

It all seems to contradict the Airbnb edict to UK hosts following government edicts. The undertone is that the landlady did a terrible thing in evicting a wonderful NHS doctor?! And it suggests that a variety of accommodation is being offerred "even entire listings!" - What to think?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen350 

I really don't know what to think anymore. Every time I think I understand the current Airbnb situation, I discover another contradiction.

My rooms are all blocked for the duration of the lock down and for a couple of days beyond. I assumed Airbnb did this because of the Government edicts and the extra two days were for safety (although with the rooms empty for weeks already, I am pretty sure I would have had enough time to clean and sanitise them!). Anyway, that's fine with me. It's lost income, but safety first.

However, I rent rooms in my own home. I wonder if others with whole properties also had their calendars automatically blocked? I would be interested to know.

If you don't mind, I will add that article to the thread on media coverage.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Under our legislation you can offer whole listings to key workers @Helen350 

Hopefully this is what is being offered through this website.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helen3 The website seems to be offering rooms, not just entire listings, if the news article is to be believed, but this could be wrong. The doc seemed a bit shocked at being evicted, rather than understanding the need..... From me, It's a question of 'Just sayin', rather than opining on the rights or wrongs!

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Helen3, I have the same question about available rooms in Madrid. 
Situation here is very very bad. We have to stay strictly at home at least till 26.04. 
But many people here are not respecting the rules... So I'd say that Airbnb has to close home share rentals, it will help to prevent stupid movements and dangerous and irresponsible behavior of some individuals. 
Finally, we are very interested to stop the disease and to return back to normal activities and income. 30-40€ received today can create a loss of thousands! 

The current law in Queensland Australia states "We all have a role to play in uniting against COVID-19, and if you are encouraging people to holiday at your business or in Queensland for purposes not permitted by the public health direction, you must cease immediately. Unfortunately, this does mean cancelling any future bookings while the home confinement direction is in place. This public health direction is currently in place until 19 May 2020 and may be extended further."  This means I am breaking the law by having my holiday house listed on Airbnb and my calendar showing as available.  All of my advance bookings have already cancelled but Airbnb keeps sending cute emails to encourage us to take new bookings.  Doesn't Airbnb realise that this is against the law in some countries.  I will lose my Super host status.  We have already lost all of our income and have received no assistance at all from Airbnb.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Noel7 from across the ocean in Auckland, New Zealand

We had similar things said to us here in New Zealand, including no swimming, going to the beach etc, it's since been reversed,   our Governments are required to abide by the Law.

Think about all the health & safety laws, customs, quarantine, etc laws etc all already in place ....they are there for a reason... It's not up to academics who are basically doing "research" calling the shots...

There's much discussion on the airwaves saying the whole modelling process and assumptions made with a blanket approach worldwide is flawed with fatal consequences to the wider community, and obviously the economy.

One serious issue is the complete lack of inclusion as to "economic impacts and that of general health needs" which of course are basic fundamental rights under international laws...

I'm sure there will be much discussion going on behind the scenes and heads will roll. 

I heard Dr Siousxie Wiles telling an elderly blind gentleman living on his own who has had no home help/ cleaning  in his home for 5 weeks he was not to have his cleaner go into his home as she also did cleaning for 3 other people. Not once did she try to establish if the cleaner has been cleaning for those other 3 people during lockdown, nor did she express concern for his other needs. 

No cleaning means basic everyday hygiene he can't undertake are not been done, think toilet, shower & kitchen & laundry cleaning ...

The words coming out of her loud mouth, appalled me.

It's people who are" ignorant of common laws", which is not an excuse for breaking the law, who are running the show...sadly.

I personally hope one of the things to come out if this is that university academics are reigned in to abide by the law with there research and they are held to account as it's NOT OK.

Too many boundaries have been crossed.

Our Model has been designed by unelected by voters to Parliament "Gamers".