Why is Airbnb sending me emails about Canadian GST when my home is not in Canada. It is in Portugal.

Answered!

Why is Airbnb sending me emails about Canadian GST when my home is not in Canada. It is in Portugal.

Although I am based in Canada and my mailing address is in Ontario the home I rent is in Portugal.

Why is Airbnb asking me to update my GST number?  Does anyone else have this similar?

Airbnb Support merely supplies "canned answers".  The legislation appears to clearly indicate it is for homes in Canada.

1 Best Answer
Vanessa421
Level 2
BG, Serbia

I'm  based in Canada and I have similar situation for my Serbian property .

You don't have to register for GST if your property is not in Canada.

I got this answer from Airbnb support teem:

Airbnb Support12:40 PM.  For the Hosts who don’t provide their GST, HST, and/or QST IDs, Airbnb will charge these taxes on top of their nightly base price for all the listings located in Canada. So since yours, is in Serbia, no need to provide a GST ID.

The email was sent to all Canadian Hosts as system generated but since your listing is located in Serbia, you are not required to provide a GST ID

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Vanessa421
Level 2
BG, Serbia

I'm  based in Canada and I have similar situation for my Serbian property .

You don't have to register for GST if your property is not in Canada.

I got this answer from Airbnb support teem:

Airbnb Support12:40 PM.  For the Hosts who don’t provide their GST, HST, and/or QST IDs, Airbnb will charge these taxes on top of their nightly base price for all the listings located in Canada. So since yours, is in Serbia, no need to provide a GST ID.

The email was sent to all Canadian Hosts as system generated but since your listing is located in Serbia, you are not required to provide a GST ID

Thank you.

This was my understanding as well.  Weird they could not filter it out by actual location if not in Canada.

Since we earned less than 50% 0f the required $30,000 threshold, we are not required to apply for a GST number to simply to send it to Aurbnb. We are likely to keep Airbnb collect the GST directly from the guests at booking to remit to Canada Revenue Agency on our behalf.

Jim229
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I am a Canadian citizen but my JAMAICAN property is listed with Airbnb. I too received the same request to provide a GST registration number OR Airbnb would start charging my guests this Canadian tax. Revenue Canada makes it clear that this new rule only applies to rentals LOCATED IN CANADA. I have sent many notes to Airbnb regarding this matter but seem to have failed to alert them to this fact.  They are saying that they will begin to add this GST/HST tax to my bookings this summer. How can I correct this error when Airbnb doesn't seem to listen?

Christine3307
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

We are having the same difficulty. Our house is in Mexico, where AirBnB is already withholding significant taxes.  Does anyone have a solution?