Why is it so slow

Ebony48
Level 2
Maple Heights, OH

Why is it so slow

I’m new to hosting and I’m getting kind of worried. Is it normal for it to be super slow around this time in Houston ???I haven’t got a booking in 2 weeks 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ebony48  I'm not sure what the deal is with everything lit up dark purple in your photos, but it's pretty strange and off-putting. I would change those photos if I were you. 

I don't know otherwise why you wouldn't be getting bookings, but Airbnb does give a boost in search ranking to new listings, so maybe you are now appearing lower in search. I imagine Houston is a pretty competitive market and there are actually far more Airbnb listings the world over than guests to fill them.

Ebony48 I don't know about Houston specifically, but even when Covid wasn't a factor, January has always been the quietest month for city tourism in the northern hemisphere. People are getting back into work or school mode after the holidays, weather conditions are iffy,  post-Christmas budgets are tight, and major festive occasions are still a ways off. With the current Omicron wave, you now also have a tsunami of cancellations upending short-term plans, and too much uncertainty for many to commit to longer range bookings that aren't fully refundable. You can probably expect business to continue being slow for at least the next month or two, unless there's a major local event coming up in your area.

Some Airbnb listings are fully booked year round, but it usually takes a solid year to both figure out your patterns and to build up the reputation from reviews that attracts discerning guests. In the meantime, the slow stretches are a great chance to make all the improvements you can. As @Sarah977 pointed out, great photos are essential for driving more clicks from search results (which in turn may increase your standing in the algorithm). And a few extra touches such as bedside furniture can go a long way to make the home look more guest ready. Uncluttered and clean is good, but it doesn't pay for any room to look unfinished. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ebony48  There are also a number of duplicate photos in your gallery which you should remove. And what's with that bedroom where it looks like there's about 6 inches of space between the door and the bed?  And you have all this fancy purple lighting, but you don't have basic things like a reading lamp next to the beds.

Ebony48
Level 2
Maple Heights, OH

Thank you @Sarah977  @Anonymous  For the insight and advice, its definitely appreciated 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Not that it really matters, but 93 photos seem excessive for a two bed place. I'd reduce it to 30ish.