Why reservation was cancelled by host

Vinnie1
Level 2
Fairfax, VA

Why reservation was cancelled by host

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the Airbnb Community Discussion Room but not to Airbnb as a guest. Through the years, countries, and states that I have searched my travel lodging needs, I have never had an issue with any hosts, until now. I have recently began searching for lodging for my upcoming trip for 3 people. I found a nice apartment that fits just that and in the perfect location to where I want to visit. The apartment is listed as an Instant Book, which I understand that the Host can reject the reservation, but never have I heard of it happening nor have I experienced it myself.

So here is where my issue began:

10:38PM: My booking was confirmed

11:23PM: The host writes back with, "." (only a period)

11:23PM: The host cancelled my reservation

11:46PM: I thought this was a mistake so I rebooked the apartment

12:01AM: The host responds, "Sorry, I am Uncomfortable with the reservation"

12:01AM: The host cancelled my reservation

06:08AM: I sent the host a message saying, "Hi [name disclosed], is there a reason for the cancellation for those 3 days?"

12:29PM: The host responds, "I'm going with another booking request. Thank you"

12:33PM: I sent the host a message saying, "Is there an explanation for why you feel uncomfortable with the reservation?"

The time is now 03:30PM and I have yet to hear back from them. After making the first reservation, the host had requested a short description of who was staying, how old they were, and what the purpose of the stay was. I did so by reply that it would be myself, my younger sibling, [age], their friend, [age] and that we were taking a road trip. 

I'm upset that there was no legitimate explanation for why the reservation was uncomfortable for them. Was it because my sibling and their friend are around the young adult age? Was it because of my race? Was it because we have 3 people? Even until this second when I check the availability of the apartment for that time period, those 3 days are still open, which means there clearly has not been a reservation made. So my question is, how should I approach this matter and should I even be upset and/or confused with what happened? Do I contact Airbnb to investigate the matter?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It could be anything, @Vinnie1. A recent post by a host shows that some people think minors should travel only with their parents. Is the friend of your sibling a minor? Some hosts are indeed concerned when young adults book, as they have had negative experiences with parties and damage. I think you don't want to stay with a host who will be suspicious of you and your companions, so the cancellation may be for the best. See if you can find someone else, and be sure to tell a little about why you three are in town and what great experiences you have had elsewhere. Your stellar reviews should say it all, but young people sometimes have to go the extra mile to assure wary hosts. 

@Lawrene0

Thanks for the response. I told the host everyone's age and of course, I am the adult that is more than old enough to chaperone two young adults. I clearly told her that we were visiting the area while doing a road trip. I just don't understand why her response was so vague and made no sense. Even now, she has not provided a response and her apartment is still open, so she clearly made up a lie to reject my reservation rather than just telling me the truth.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Vinnie1.

I assume you are familiar with this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-hos...

Of course, if you now feel uncomfortable with the cancelled booking, you may contact Airbnb CS and ask them to investigate. Race discrimination is forbidden on Airbnb. But the host doesn't seem to have done anything like that. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Hi @Marzena4. I agree with you. Racial discrimination should not be a factor. However, to write, "I am uncomfortable with the reservation" but not provide an explanation as to why, it makes the guest wonder what they mean, especially when they do not respond to your messages. I hope you can see why I'm still a bit bitter.

So report the whole issue to Airbnb, @Vinnie1. Hosts should not behave like that. I wouldn't...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I agree with @Marzena4. You can have it investigated if you want, @Vinnie1. It was probably the young people + non-parent chaperone situation that did it, but, like her, I would not have been uncomfortable with that. 

You won't be wrong, though, to just let it go. Airbnb seems to be on top of host cancellations/request denials, and if this host shows a pattern, she will be shut down. If she is discriminating, she won't be hosting long.

All the best finding someplace that turns out to be perfect. That has been my experience when cancelled on as a guest, and I hope it is yours.