Why should the customer care about you showing the cleaning fee? Just show me the full price and that's it.

Tudor29
Level 1
Bucharest, Romania

Why should the customer care about you showing the cleaning fee? Just show me the full price and that's it.

No need to show the customer this kind of detail. It's more annoying than helpful.

How does seeing the separate cleaning fee, help the customer. Just show me the full price.

I don't need the details of how you're reached your total price. LOL. If i had the opportunity

to waiver this cleaning fee by cleaning myself, I would get it's purpose...

but this way why don't you list the last time you washed the windows fee, the new oven you

bought in september fee, the new cupboard fee LOL

P.S. Okay, I get that the Airbnb service fee is shown (although I have my doubts about that too)

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Tudor29 

The cleaning fee is allways refunded if reservation is cancelled before check-in

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tudor29  cleaning fee is charged only once for the entire stay. The accommodation price is charged per day. The cleaning fee should/could be named "Turnover fee" or "Longer stay discount" and would be less confusing. To me, it is not the same if you stay 1 night or more nights because I have to prepare the unit for you, pay for the laundry service to wash your sheets and towels, come to meet you at check-in etc... and it makes every turnover time consuming and it is not free. It is not the same if I have 2 or 15 or 30 groups in one month.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tudor29  It isn't displayed as a separate line item to be helpful to the guest, it's displayed that way because that is the only way it can be displayed. 

I suppose a guest could just be shown the total of the nightly rate, the taxes, the Airbnb service and the cleaning fee once they have entered their dates and number of guests, but I should think a lot if guests would want to see the breakdown, even if you don't. 

If you are talking about seeing a nightly price in search which includes the cleaning fee, before you have entered your requested dates and the number of people, that would be misleading, because as Branka and Silvia explained, it's a one time fee for a booking, regardless of whether you stay 1 night or 10.

Lets say a listing is $100/ night with a $50 cleaning fee. If the host listed the house at $150, you would think it would cost you $450 to stay 3 nights. But it wouldn't- it would cost 3x $100 + $50= $350.

Does that make sense?

@Tudor29   In one way, I agree with you:  if you're doing a search for a specific range of dates, it would be great to have the option for the total booking price to be displayed in your search results, since the fee breakdown can vary widely between listings.

However, once the booking process begins, you need to have transparency about how the costs are itemized. The guest has a right to know which fees have been added by which party (Airbnb or the host or local taxes) and which fees are charged on a nightly basis versus a flat basis. If there needs to be a change to the length of stay or number of guests, or the booking has to be outright terminated, you can only reach a consensus about who is entitled to what if the itemized breakdown of costs is visible, and it would be really foolish to sign a contract for a purchase that contains such variables if those details aren't disclosed to you.

There are different ways of displaying costs in an online transaction, and I think Airbnb's search method could be more elegant and simple for travelers planning around a strict budget. But I don't see hiding critically important information from customers as a good way to do business in any context. Why would you want to be more poorly informed when you're making a decision?

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Tudor29 As a guest, you should be extremely interested in knowing that there's an explicit cleaning fee, rather than one simply implied in the nightly rate.  Faced with two similar listings with identical cancellation policies, a smart guest will always choose the listing with the explicit cleaning fee because at least you'll get something back, even if you cancel 60 seconds before check-in.

Venkat30
Level 1
Helotes, TX

I STILL NOT HAVE BEEN PAID FOR THE GUEST WHO CHECKED IN ON
Check-in
Sun, Aug 1, 2021
Check-out
Thu, Aug 5, 2021
Booking date
Sat, Jul 31, 2021
Confirmation code
HMNCQ8P2JK

MY BANK ACCOUNT GOT YOUR DEPOSIT OF $0.01...NOT SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.