Will home share hosts have to wear masks at all times in shared homes under new cleaning regs?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Will home share hosts have to wear masks at all times in shared homes under new cleaning regs?

When Airbnb announced new mandatory  cleaning regs, it says as part of this that home share hosts have to wear masks in communal areas at all times. 

In the UK hosts such myself who have asthma and other medical conditions are exempt from wearing a mask in restaurants, theatre’s, because longer term use creates breathing difficulties. 

I asked Airbnb to clarify last week as to whether hosts with relevant medical conditions would be exempted from wearing a mask  in home share situations, under airbnb’s new cleaning regs,  but sadly there has been no response.

i would not be able to wear a mask for anything but short periods so would have to give up hosting.

@Nick  @Katie 

Please can you clarify are hosts like myself going to have to stop hosting under your new cleaning regs? 

It would seem unfair that Airbnb would discriminate against hosts with long term conditions and disabilities, when governments, the hospitality and leisure sectors and others are exempting people with health conditions from wearing mask.

49 Replies 49
Rich30
Level 2
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

I'm in a similar position. If there's no reply from Airbnb or recognition that some are exempt then my approach would be to sign up to their policy but to make it clear on the profile and in communications with guests that I am not able to wear a mask. Then it's their choice if they are happy to pursue the booking and everyone is clear from the outset. I wouldn't feel that breaks any rules as there are legally recognised exemptions in the UK.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Good thought @Rich30 

But my thought is we all know not all guests read and I’d be worried that if guests complained Airbnb would let them cancel/ stop us from hosting, I would much rather they amend the new cleaning policy to recognise those who have certain conditions and disabilities are exempt from wearing masks. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

One's private medical matters are one's own business.

Boundaries have been crossed with the whole way Coronavirus/ Covid 19 has been addressed in the world.

It places already "Vulnerable persons" into more vulnerable situations when such private information is disclosed  for all and sundry to see.

As per Govt Guidelines on official UK websites, no one has the right to ask others abt their private health matters & why they may not be wearing a mask.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

thanks for replying @Helen427 

Actually people can be challenged on why they aren’t wearing a mask here where there is a requirement that they should @Helen427 

For example in buses and shops. 

I don’t mind that at all. I always have my inhalers with me. 

@Helen3 @Rich30 @Rich30

Helen's question is coming up again and again on all the STR-related groups and forums, and many, many private room hosts have contacted Airbnb in their attempts to get clarification - but as yet, no straight answers (or any answers, for that matter) have been forthcoming. Rather disconcerting that Airbnb should be so tardy in their responses to hosts' very simple "Yes, or no?" questions on this issue, considering the lightning speed with which they're churning out all these hastily cobbled-together pre-IPO Press Releases/PR stunts for the global media to obediently regurgitate. (Tip for all you journalists and reporters out there that are obediently trotting out every word that Airbnb spoon-feeds you - do your job, start asking questions and do some investigation into the truth behind Airbnb's fanciful claims) 

On May 5th 2020, in his Open Letter (ie Press Release) addressing the 1900 employees that he'd just sacked while assuring them "I have a deep love for you all" - no mention of the thousands of contract workers (mainly customer support) who had just unceremoniously been booted out the door just a couple of weeks previously - Mr Chesky eulogised.. 

Travel in this new world will look different, and we need to evolve Airbnb accordingly. People will want options that are closer to home, safer, and more affordable. But people will also yearn for something that feels like it’s been taken away from them — human connection. When we started Airbnb, it was about belonging and connection. This crisis has sharpened our focus to get back to our roots, back to the basics, back to what is truly special about Airbnb — everyday people who host their homes and offer experiences. 

The cynics amongst us - particularly the countless thousands of small independent, local entire home hosts whose hosting businesses have already been decimated (or obliterated altogether) by Airbnb's relentless swamping of our markets with 'professional' and commercial 'mega-host' operators - just rolled our eyes and thought "Yeah, yeah - play it again, Sam" 

But for many homesharing and small local hosts out there, Emperor Bri's promises were music to their ears.. a beacon of hope for a brighter future - a future where the wonderful, warm hospitality they provide for their guests and the invaluable, tireless work they've been doing for years - work that has been the cornerstone in building Airbnb's reputation, brand image and fortunes from the ground up - might once again be recognised, and valued, by this company to which they've devoted so much of themselves, and their lives. 

So my questions to @Airbnb and @Catherine-Powell are these.. 

Why then - if "getting back to your roots" really is the main priority you claim it to be - are you apparently introducing ridiculous, onerous new rules and protocols, such as forcing hosts who share their homes to wear masks, when it's crystal clear that this would cause extreme discomfort - and worse - for innumerable thousands of your loyal and hardworking homesharing hosts, like @Helen3 above, and in doing so, making sharing their homes with Airbnb guests an untenable prospect for them? And why did nobody in your organisation appear to give these hosts - or their potential health issues - a moment's consideration before pushing out your latest publicity wheeze to the world's media? Furthermore, why are their very reasonable and straightforward questions now being ignored, instead of providing them with the timely answers they deserve?

Could it be possible that - despite all their fuzzy-warm, airy-fairy 'importance of human connection' claims - Airbnb is stealthily doing the same surreptitious hatchet-job on homesharers as they've already being doing for a long time now, on so many small independent entire home hosts around the world, while behind the scenes, quietly paving the way for a glittering mega-host and hotel-led future for their sugar-daddy investors? Because it's sure looking that way. 

If it's not the case, Airbnb needs to put their minds at rest and let these hosts know now, that no, they will not be forced to compromise their own well-being by being compelled to wear masks in their own homes. 

Penelope
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Super47, great to see you getting involved here, but it seems like you're getting a bit off-topic with some of these comments - I know you're familiar with the Community Guidelines but just leaving a link here as a reminder.

If you could try to keep your contributions in line with these and with the OP's topic, that would be great 😊  

Hi @Katie, and thank you for the (very!) swift response 😏

I'm afraid that I'd have to strongly disagree that any of my comments were off-topic at all. Helen wrote.. 

".. I and thousands of other homeshare host would be stopped from hosting as we wouldn’t be able to sign up to cleaning protocols that mandate we wear a mask at all times in communal spaces" 

That's exactly the point I was making, while questioning why Airbnb would be introducing onerous protocols that would prevent thousands of homesharing hosts from hosting. Despite countless hosts requesting clarification on this issue since the Press Release went out last week and Catherine Powell's video update was subsequently posted here on the CC, their questions remain unanswered. How long can it take to get a simple "Yes" or "No" answer?

In the absence of any straight answers from the company, I was merely offering suggestions as to some possible reasons why Airbnb might be so reticent in their responses to the thousands of homesharers who would be impacted in a very negative way by these protocols, as they appear to stand now. So I would say that my comments are intrinsically linked to the issue in hand, and very much on-topic.

However, perhaps you're correct and this is really a wider topic that deserves a thread of its own, seeing as it potentially affects all homesharing hosts. 

Penelope
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3 @Rich30

Thanks for the tag - we've asked for clarification on this so as soon as we have an answer we'll come back to you to confirm. I expect that if you are medically exempt then you shouldn't need to wear the mask all the time in your own home, but you might be encouraged to socially distance where possible and reduce the amount of space you share directly with guests 😊 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Katie If that is the case Airbnb needs to adapt your cleaning protocols to reflect this as at the moment I and thousands of other homeshare host would be stopped from hosting as we wouldn’t be able to sign up to cleaning protocols that mandate we wear a mask at all times in communal spaces. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3 @Rich30

Thanks for your patience on this one; and I have an update to share regarding mask-wearing for those with medical conditions. 

Generally, hosts are required to follow all Airbnb COVID-19 safety practices, including wearing a mask or face covering when interacting in person. 

If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask you will be required to provide documentation from a medical professional confirming this exemption. You will then be required to notify all incoming guests prior to booking. 

If a host is unwilling, or fails, to disclose this exemption to guests before booking, the listing may be deactivated until this policy no longer impacts them or is updated.

Guests who are unable to safely wear a mask may be eligible for rebooking support into a suitable accommodation if they provide documentation from a medical professional confirming their mask exemption.

I hope this helps to ensure that things are clear on this matter, but if you have any more questions then please do shout and I can feed back to the team and/or assist 😊

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Katie 

Thanks for the clarification @Katie  and glad to hear Airbnb is exempting hosts with medical conditions who cannot wear masks in a share home situation from wearing masks.

However overwhelmed GPs in the NHS  dealing with rising Covid cases are not  going to provide documentation to confirm someone is exempt from wearing a mask.

@Super47  @Helen427 @Rich30 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  

They are only open for urgent cases (which this  is obviously not). 

This is NOT how our government legislation works around mask wearing and Covid in public spaces. People are allowed to self-declare.

Hosts in a shared home situation in the UK are not going to be able to get documentation from a medical professional that we can’t wear a mask so that means we won’t be able to continue to host - so Airbnb will still be discriminating against hosts  who share their homes and who have disabilities and long term health conditions  in the UK who will all have to stop hosting. 

Our government legislation clearly states that people SHOULD NOT be asked to provide evidence from a medical professional to prove that they don’t need to wear a mask. 

2996097C-1F53-4510-B795-D1964BC9E56E.png

Rich30
Level 2

I agree, Helen. Rules in the UK are quite clear that there are recognised exemptions that rely on self-declaration as hugely busy GPs are obviously not going to want to have responsibility for signing people off as exempt. Airbnb's blanket policy as it stands would appear to be discriminatory towards hosts who are unable to wear them due, for example, to disabilities. That's not acceptable in my view. I've amended my profile to make my position clear and I will also have that dialogue with potential guests before confirming a booking so that they are also absolutely clear and comfortable with this (I don't do instant booking). I actually had a reply from Airbnb help/support indicating that this was ok anyway so that will be my approach going forward for as long as the pandemic continues.

@Helen427 @Katie 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks for clarifying @Rich30 

Any chance you could share the confirmation you received? 

Rich30
Level 2

Reply was the corporate line about new policy etc etc but in response to my specific points; " But if you do believe that this is legal on your end, we suggest to just add information on your listing's description to inform the guests. "

As I said in another post, I'll also have that dialogue with people before a booking is confirmed so that there are no misunderstandings. I'm fortunate enough to have a space where distancing is straightforward. If guests want to use the kitchen then we just agree at the time about staggering.

@Helen3