Will you provide guest more money back when those have to cancel due to weather or delayed flights

Helena-and-Iselin0
Level 2
Evenskjer, Norway

Will you provide guest more money back when those have to cancel due to weather or delayed flights

Im a host and rent out a room in North Norway.

I had a few cases, where the guests have confirmed booking, have been unable to come to me because of bad weather (the ferry diden`t go) or delayed flights, they miss the connection flight and so on. 
They cancel The booking in Airbnb, they get the cleaning fee back, but thats it. And they cancel it the same time as check inn is. 

So I will not get any new bookings. 

Do you use to give them something more again? What should we as host do?

8 Replies 8
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

This is a call about customer service and trying to get more business.

In my experiance offering back some refund in the form of a credit towards the next stay is the most fair for both parties and it can help you get a repeat customer.  Consider 30%-50% refund as a credit.

It's really up to the guest to insure their stay, there are plenty of travel insurance sites they can go to.  If this is recurring problem for you, I suggest you put it in your listing that there could be travel issues and that the guest should look into insurance.

Hope this helps.

Sounds very much in the category of extenuating circumstances, I would expect AirBnB to give them a full refund.

David

If Airbnb will give the full refund must the guest ask Airbnb to do that?

I thinks is difficult this.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Helena-and-Iselin0 If weather is a problem in your area and many guests experience weather related transportation issues, perhaps you could put in your listing that you advise prospective guests buy travel insurance especially in the months where weather is a factor. 

Most guests don't think about travel insurance, but they should.  I went on a 3 week vacation in September and I got travel insurance that covered me in full in the event I had to cancel for any reason.  

I do not refund due to bad weather. I do give a refund if a guest has a family or medical emergency but only if I can book that space again. Otherwise, I expect them to purchase travel insurance.

I agree for refund if there is medical emergency. 🙂

But not 100% refund, maybe 50%.

My place is in a area that the guest book 6 months and more ahead, So I will never get a new booking if the guest cancel the same day.

If itis extenunating circumstances you do not decide the level of refund.

David

Who decides that it isextenunating circumstances?