Worried about host kicking us out as we won't pay extra fees we are not liable for

James2830
Level 2
Colchester, United Kingdom

Worried about host kicking us out as we won't pay extra fees we are not liable for

Hi all. 

TL;DR: The host wants more money from us that wasn't listed in the booking. We are declining the request. Worried she will kick us out and leave us homeless 

First time posting here so I apologise if this is a bit messy. We're currently staying in an Airbnb in Spain and looking for some advice as customer support can't give me a solid answer. 

Situation: We are in the 7th week of our stay in an apartment in Spain with around 12-13 days remaining until we check out. We needed to book a long term rental as we have moved to Spain and needed somewhere to stay before our perm apartment is ready.

We have had several issues with the host.

First, the apartment is not fit for rental. There is mould everywhere and the mattress is covered in bodily fluid stains. We tried talking to the host about this but they accused us of lying. We spent 30 Euro on mattress covers and sheets to provide protection. We decided to ignore it as we didn't have the emotional energy to move again. 

Secondly, there was an issue with the air con water tank dripping down on the neighbours balcony below. She asked us to fix it and buy new parts which she would reimburse. I kindly explained I have no idea where to get these things as I've never lived in the country before and that really, as the host, she should repair it. This led to her hurling a lot of abuse at us. We fixed it. End of story. 

Now, she has just received the electricity bill and has stated we have gone 40 Euros above the set 60 Euro limit included. A limit on electricity use was news to us and nothing in the listing about us having to contribute or be liable for extra costs. Airbnb have confirmed we are not liable for the cost. 

The host initially asked us to do a bank transfer and we asked her to raise it in the resolution centre. Now, we want to decline it and explain we are not liable and Airbnb have confirmed this. My worry, she will get angry and decide to kick us out and end our stay early. 

I really don't want the stress of a confrontation or having to find somewhere else to stay. I suffer from bad social anxiety at the moment and I just want this to all go away. 

I'm very confused by the rules if she can just end the stay and leave us homeless? Does the host or airbnb have to help find us somewhere to stay? 

This is the first time I've had issues with a host and the neighbours can vouch for us that we've been good guests. 

TIA for your advice 

Note: We have tried to be careful with the electricity but there has been the bad heatwave and no fans in the apartment, AC is only way to cool the apartment as window don't offer much ventilation. Our booking was all inclusive and no house rules except for the standard "no parties ect". We know electric is expensive in Spain and if the host was nice and respectful, we would be happy to contribute as a gesture of goodwill.

1 Reply 1
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@James2830 - you had me at >>First, the apartment is not fit for rental<<.

Walking in and seeing it wasn't fit for rental was when you should have hit the alarm button, and quickly. Secondly, being asked to make repairs - did this sound reasonable to you?

It seems apparent you've encountered a pretty ropey host (what were their reviews like?) but with a matter of days to go, you might just need to suck it up.

Can she throw you out? Legally, probably not. Will she, because you've hacked her off? Quite possibly. And no, it's unlikely you'll get help - at least from her - to re-home you. 

Call Airbnb back and get them to take some ownership - if you are being threatened by the host, tell them. Sounds like a horrid situation, and you need help from 
Airbnb.