Worried about incoming guest

Eva140
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Worried about incoming guest

Hi there, 

I am an AirbBnB host and have been for about 5 months. So far I have really enjoyed the experience and have had lovely, respectful guests. I only take guests who already have positive reviews. 

However, 10 days ago a guy who has 5 verifications but no reviews asked could he book and I knew I would be out of town anyway so said yes against a gut feeling. 

I sent him a friendly instruction email yesterday telling him how to get into the flat as I will not be there to check him in in person. He did not reply. I have a cat who the guests feed so I am feeling a little worried as this person was already due to check in today but still has not contacted me. I have sent him a 2nd message today asking him to confirm his arrival as if he can't come I will have to make alternative arrangements for somebody to feed the cat (I will also have to get my keys removed from my safebox outside my property). Still, no reply. 

I did an internet search of his name and I can't find him, no twitter, instagram or facebook accounts which is worrying me. To be fair, I don't actually have any social media presence either but I know that most people do. 

Has anybody been in this position before? Or indeed is there any new scams I should know about? I'm probably being neurotic but it is a little odd. 

Any advice welcome. 

Thanks 

Eva

16 Replies 16
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

You ask your guests to feed the cat?!?! I know you didnt ask but I would never agree to take on that responsibility as a guest. Doesnt that require a discount in their nightly rate then? Or shouldnt you be paying THEM for pet care. Ive never heard of any host doing this. Anybody???

Eva140
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

It's quite common and I've stayed somewhere with a cat before...that is why I booked the place. 

The feedback I get from my guests is that they book because of my cat. If you look at my reviews he is mentioned frequently as one of the bonuses of the flat. It's not like they book the place and then I spring it on them that they have a cat to feed. He is featured on my page. 

Anywho, I was just looking for advice about the guest, not your unhelpful comments about the cat. 

Thanks 

Eva

@Dee9

I take housesitters/catsitters if I need cat care.  

Personally, I would probably agree to look after the cat if the rate mirrored the responsibility.

@Eva140

Have you tried any method for contacting him including a phone call ?  Sometimes travellers are in transit and unavailable.  Not all airlines have inflight wifi.

We cannot see your listing our your reviews unless you post a link to your listing.

Eva140
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thanks Marit Ann. He is from the same country as me so will not be flying. I suspect i'm being neurotic, he's probably just at work or something. 

Also, my cat is outside most of the time, he just needs to be fed. There is no cat-care to speak of as is a littertray free house- he has a catflat and is super independent. My rates are below average for the area i'm in and I only seem to get people who book for the bonus of a cat for a weekend. I am animal crazy so when I am going on a holiday I will book an Airbnb place with an animal to care for where possible. We all have our own little quirks.

Thanks again. 

Eva

Agreed if the rate mirrored the responsibility. But what if something bad happens to the cat? Then it's the guests fault? How would you handle that? 

You should call the guest and try to speak to him.  Since the cat goes in/out he is self sufficient and feeding him slightly more  or less often should not hurt him.  Why not contact a friend or neighbor to drop by tomorrow and open a can for him outside? 

If I was traveling I would love to stay with a cat.

To answer the concerns mentioned above:  Pet owners usually have instructions of who to call if the cat is sick or hurt.  There should be a designated person who would come right over and take care of the situation.    It is really not that much different of leaving the contact information  of who to call if there is an issue with the plumbing, heat or other services to the building.

The pet owner should not hold the guest responsible for the cat's well being.  Outdoor cats can disappear or have anything happen to them.  The owner should be aware of that.

Guest texted to say he had checked in already- I guess he's not great at contact but happy there's a conclusion to it.

thanks for explaining RE: cat...I was getting a bit exasperated by the interrogation so yes, to echo your comments, if anything happens to my cat my lovely ex who adores my cat lives down the street and has keys to my flat- he would take the cat to the vet. I would not have any interest in blaming my guests if something were to happen to my cat, these things happen and I imagine I would be more concerned about my cat's welfare than entering into an unfair blame game. 

So far the situation has worked out well for myself and my guests. The cat loves humans so is not spoiled by new people in the house. He thrives on human attention. In fact he often sits at the bus top across the road just so people will let him. 

Anyway, guest is in safe and sound. Thanks for all valuable advice 

Eva 🙂

*just so people will pet him 

He sounds like an awesome cat!  I would most definitely book a property that came with a friendly feline and wouldn't think twice about feeding him if asked!  I consider both my dog and cat a great feature to my listing and both are often brought up in my reviews as being a highlight of the guest's stay.  Don't worry about the haters. 🙂

I know, right? It's just an added bonus for animal lovers- if you don't want to feed a cat once a day then nobody is making you book. I have no idea why this would irk Diane so much. Strange. Thanks for your support. 

Angela237
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Yea, it is really common. No harm in putting a little food out. Cats require no commitment on your part except for that. I know heaps of people who do this and heaps of guests who don't mind a bit. Dogs maybe a little different I guess, but a cat? No sweat!

Cats require a lot more than just putting out food. The bowls need to be cleaned water topped up, litter tray cleaned and refilled. This notion that cats are independent is outdated nonsense. They need contact and attention. I wouldn’t trust people not to be cruel and dismissive to them. 

Angela237
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Yea, it is really common. No harm in putting a little food out. Cats require no commitment on your part except for that. I know heaps of people who do this and heaps of guests who don't mind a bit. Dogs maybe a little different I guess, but a cat? No sweat!

you say you know heaps of people who feed cats and heaps meaning lots of people who leave cats with strangers. I do not believe this. Can you show me the profiles of people who leave their cats abandoned to complete strangers? who changes the litter tray? who lets them out if they go out? if so its a secruity issue. I dont buy this sorry.