Would you host a guest again question on survey

Pat7896
Level 1
Hamden, CT

Would you host a guest again question on survey

Wondering if anyone knows what happens when you have a guest that is uncommunicative or otherwise not considerate. I am a new host. I know the survey where you rate the guest at end of stay asks if you will host them again. If we say no does that mean they will be blocked from booking our listing in the future? Are they sent a notice that they aren't welcomed back?

Anyone know how that is handled?

Trying to avoid canceling a reservation. We're on round two of someone who is presenting as someone we don't want back. First they booked and then showed up a week early for the reservation. Very odd to me a stranger on the front lawn who is wondering why he is not being let in....in the dark when you're not expecting it. He left, got his money back...apologized....and then booked AGAIN! Now he is an hour past his check in time. We don't want to offer self check in. Trying to work with him, but not interested in losing my whole evening waiting for someone who is instructed to communicate if running late and doesn't.

Thoughts from experienced hosts??? I already don't think I want him back. I've been polite and articulated what is expected--falls flat.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pat7896  A guest won't be able to book with you if you indicate you wouldn't host them again.

And no, the guest doesn't see that, nor the star ratings you gave.

As a new host, if you are using Instant Book, you might consider turning that off  for awhile so guests have to send a request, which gives you an opportunity to ask the right questions, read any past reviews they have, be on the alert for red flags (poor communication is one) and gain some experience in learning to vet guests. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Pat7896  you are not obligated to check him in after the check-in time is passed. But, he will get his money back from Airbnb and he will be able to leave you a review. Yes, this is unjust.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Pat7896 

Sounds like someone I would block.  If the guest doesn't understand the basic check-in, how can a host expect the guest to adhere to their contract and house rules?  Personally, I would take the penalty for cancelling and argue it back at Airbnb as a trust issue. Just my opinion.