Writing a review for loud guests

Brittany231
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

Writing a review for loud guests

I am at a loss for how to review my previous guests who stayed about a week. I live in the lower unit of my home and rent the upper level. I am fully aware and prepared for hearing noise and such but these guests we a little excessive. There were all sorts of noises from sobbing for over an hour to yelling/screaming at a movie and other more passionate noises many times through the nights. There was one point where I almost felt the need to call the cops or knock on the door to check if everything was ok. Needless to say there was very little sleep in the house the whole week. This was the main issue. 

I have contacted Airbnb Help and they said that "...Airbnb encourage our users to write a fair and positive review about their stay and the reservation so that it gives other users on the platform a fair idea about the house and guest." Later suggesting that I leave out certain things to not negatively impact the customer and their opportunity to stay at Airbnbs and also noting that that would also provide a negative impact on hosts by not informing them properly. They also suggested I might write a note about it in the private section of the review. 

Needless to say, I am feeling a bit confused and lost on how to reply. "They were ok guests but they were not quite people. We hope they enjoyed their stay!" 

Recommendations would be most appreciated. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you speak to the guests about their noise during their stay @Brittany231 

Do you have house rules around noise?

Please leave an honest review, based on what you have said I wouldn't want them as guests. However, I also think it would have been better for you to talk to them about their behaviour and give them a chance to improve.

How was she as a guest otherwise - was she clean, did she have good communications, did you keep to your house rules?

It is not a hosts role to worry about whether their reviews will impact on guests future stays.

It is to provide an honest review to help other hosts who are considering them as guests.

I did not talk to them about the noise as most of it was based around their passionate night escapades. As for house rules I do have "be courteous to our neighbors" and since then have updated it to include "There is a long term tenant in the lower unit of the house, please be mindful of noise levels."

They were responsive and fairly clean guests otherwise. 

Maybe I could write something such as, "They were responsive and clean guests, however they did have high noise levels." Short and Simple. 

I would also agree with you fully that it's our duty to write reviews to help each other and our hosting community. 

Thank you for the help

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Brittany231 you may say they are "not quiet people" but to say they are "not quite people" is something entirely different. 🙂

How about

"X followed house rules and left our space in good shape. Our listing occupies the upper floor of our home, and we were kept awake by noise. No other issues."

In their defense, they may have had no idea you could hear them, and you didn't tell them. You could have sent a message saying something like, "Hi, I hope you are enjoying your stay. I just want to let you know that sound carries in our home, so please keep that in mind-- and let me know if you need anything! Thank you."