Zoning - City is looking at ammending current zoning restriction

Julie343
Level 1
Sartell, MN

Zoning - City is looking at ammending current zoning restriction

Yes, after getting a rental license and opperating my Airbnb for three months, I was contacted by the city zoning stating my rental did not follow the city's residential zoning law. I wrote a powerful letter to the zoning department. They met and told me that they believed that their zoning laws were strong and prohibited my Airbnb but that I could write the city council asking them to "amend their single family residential zoning to allow for short-term retals or Airbnbs." I did. I supported it well. I emailed the council members and invited them individually to coffee to discuss this. I did end up talking to two on the phone, which I believe helped clarify things more for them.

The council agreed to look at ordinance ammendment options. The zoning director will research and present them. This will then go before a public hearing.

HELP! I need any and all advice. 

This is what I am thinking about doing:

1. Knocking on my neighbor's doors

2. Talking to people I know from the community and getting my talking points out

3. Writing a letter to the media or inviting them to come over and talk (It's already out on two major news places. I want publicity to be positive.)

4. Getting my friends and supporters to pack that public hearing

What else?....

Julie

6 Replies 6
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I don't have anything to add @Julie343, other than congratulations for bring so positive and proactive. The way to change anything is by putting a face to generalities.  I applaud what you're doing and wish you all the best. 

Jude

Thanks @Jude7 ! I am going to fight this and hopefully be the change. I'll keep you posted. 

IF you think of any helpful advice though, let me know!

Julie

I would definitely minimize the business aspect of it, @Julie343, and maximize the home sharing part of it. 

I suspect municipalities are concerned about riffraff coming through town.  If you have anything positive to share about the sorts of guests you're hosting, that might help.

I really liked how you invited people to your home to chat with you. Although perhaps it shouldn't be that way, we are all human and can't help but be swayed by how much we like, or don't like, someone.

If you were in a large city, that may be different. But in a smaller town I think relationships count for much. They're not just making policy. They're making policy for or against YOU. Just like guests who like you would find it harder to leave a bad review, I think the same can be said for small town politics.

Good luck and definitely keep us posted. I think many of us are in similar situations, or are concerned that we will be.

Jude

Norma-Jean0
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

Have you had any luck on this? I have just run across a situation with my condo association telling me that I am going to fined for using Airbnb and violating my HOA policy of which I did not know about.. I never got the hoa policies when I bought the place.... anyway.. the condo association management is threatening me and I had to take down the listing but it was the only thing helping me pay the bills. He also mentioned that the city was looking to tax the revenues.. which they do when you send in your 1099.. so I think we need to start an advocacy group to fight this .. because it will stop everyone if we dont do start the process.. I do know one council member I can talk to ...

Pnb0
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

@Julie343 

Hello Airbnb hosts and Julie.

Brevard county on Florida’s SpaceCoast has just passed restrictions against short term rentals (to a 90 day minimum) for hosts West of State Road A1A. Now, Cape Canaveral, FL is considering even more ridiculous restrictions... what kind of people are trying to regulate and restrict good hosts with nicely kept up homes and respectful guests?

Airbnb needs to come up with facts and case studies to help us fight and keep the right to do what is reasonable in renting our homes. There are other unsavory long term rentals, hotels, and seemingly hourly hotels that are legally able to rent stays without imposing ridiculous rules and violating rights to privacy... there are other county neighborhoods (not near my property) with junk in their yards, unkempt lawns, vagrants, druggies, and large parties of people, some with several families and many others living in a single residence (coming and going with hapless disregard of neighbors) who do not respect others property or their rights to live peacefully... they are left alone to lower property values, while responsible and upstanding hosts must fight to keep the right to share what is our earned privilege... my guests are responsible and our rules specify local laws, as they stand... Now the city wants to impose ridiculous restrictions and requirements... I don’t understand how big business (hotels, motels, timeshares, resorts, and even cruise ships) are able to hosts guests for short stays, respect their privacy, and run free of ridiculous regulations and exorbitant costs to be passed onto our guests,.. who are not discriminated against. For the sake of legality why should Airbnb guests be treated any differently than hotel guests? Tourism brings in money, why should responsible hosts be penalized for improving their locale with personalized stays and experiences? We surely bring in more money and potential earnings than other short term stays with respectful people who are treated as guests in our homes and not fly by nighters who just want to stop over for a quick nap... our Airbnb guests enjoy staying in comfortable homes with amenities that help them feel cozily at home. If anyone has suggestions on how to defend my rights as a host please let me know... thank you, respectfully. Paula at RelaxingBeachside

Hi Paula, I was contacted by a zoning officer today. I have an appt to meet with a lawyer on Tuesday. I agree with everything above. I think we all need to band together and go to the city council.

We did a long term rental of our home through a property management company and the tenants turned out to be drug abusers with visitors living in the driveway. We discussed with our neighbors about STR and they agreed. I screen and approve each and every booking. All my guests so far have been wonderful. Most choosing the  home versus a hotel as a safe and clean place to stay during this pandemic. 

I grow vegetables in the back yard that I share with my neighbors. I let my closest neighbors use the hot tub when the house is not occupied. I let a couple of the mom use the space as a respite when its not occupied. 

I provide a living for cleaners, landscapers, pest control who have all been affected by this pandemic.

What is the crime in opening up my home for people to enjoy this area? 

In contrast the drug dealer living across the street has been out of jail for 2 yrs dealing drugs in his front yard with the police coming every couple of days. Him and his girlfriend lived in a tent in the yard for a while.