a guest asks for a partial refund for complaints that are not real

Carmen416
Level 2
Santo Domingo, DO

a guest asks for a partial refund for complaints that are not real

I need you to please guide me on how to proceed with a guest who is currently in my property and since he arrived is complaining about several things... The first complaint was that the hot water in the shower did not last long ... I replied that he have to leave the heater longer so the water last longer ...

He also complained about a drip of the air conditioner, in that sense, I immediately contacted a technician to solve the situation and told him to be patient, and told him that the technicians would not leave without resolving the situation.

He also complained in a very bad way that the pool is dirty, and the filter does not work, that is not true, the filter works correctly and the person who cleans the pool goes one day and another and keeps it clean.

In a very bad way he has spoken to me and he does not stop asking me to reimburse him a good amount of money ... he even threatened me by phone that at the latest tomorrow I have to return a good amount of money ...

I had apologized for the dripping of the conditioned air and asked him to be patient because these things happen from one moment to another and are not preventable.

I feel that this person wants to take advantage to take part of the money he pay and is complaining about all these things (the only real thing is the dripping of the air) to pressure me and achieve his goal.

As an important point that you should take into account, is that when he arrive, he asked for the cleaning schedule and we told him that when the rent is for a week or less, it did not include cleaning (only the final cleaning), and we left in the house extra sheets and towels in case they needed ... upon request of cleaning, he was told that extra cleaning has an additional cost, but that in his case it was going to be done in the middle of the week and without cost !!

Please let me know what to do with this guest!

5 Replies 5
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Carmen416 

This geust sounds like his is goign to be an enromous amount of trouble adn will most likely stay the entire time, having you running around at his beck and call, making your life a misery, then at the end he'll ring Cs and complain and most likely get a substantial or even a full refund.   You need him OUT in my opinon

If I were you I would message him through the aribnb platfrom and succinctly re state everything that has occurred.  eg Hi XXX just wanted to formally and in writing summarise your experience so far. I'm sorry you have been less than delighted.  Your were concerned about the airconditoning unit and I have arranged for a technicain to remedy"  list all the complaints but be unemotional.     I would finish it by saying, it is clear that I am not able to provide the level of comfort or service to meet your expectations. It would be best for aribnb to help you find another listing which suits your needs better"     YOu now have a recrod of events to refer back to adn for customer service to view.   Ring CS. Tell them the guest is making you very uncomfortable and ask for a cancellation.  Don't let them talk you out of it. If necessary say you are fearful.     Yes you will lose money and yes the guest will almost certainly leave a bad review.  However the flip side is, he will almost certainly leave a bad review anyway and you will also almost certainly lose money on this stay - the difference will be the guest will NOT have been able to stay for next to nothing and you will have avoided a lot of stress.

It's an extremely unpleasant situation to find yourself in. don't  let him bully you and don't put up with him in your listing.

Good luck keep us posted

Carmen416
Level 2
Santo Domingo, DO

Thank you Rowena!

I really appreciate your advice!
yesterday I wrote on the platform everything that had happened ...
after that the guy told me even dishonest, when in fact it is he who invents things ...
I feel helpless to have a guy in my house who calls me dishonest, so I will evaluate with airbnb if I can get him out, because of that behavior ...

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Carmen416  @Rowena29  Has given you great advice. Take it! I want to underline her point about telling Airbnb of your discomfort with him...tell them that he has been speaking to you in very bad ways, and you don’t feel safe. Let THEM cancel and get this guy out. So, no IF they can get him out...WHEN...which needs to be immediately.  They may try and talk you out if it. Stand your ground. And Do you have someone who can go with you if necessary, to make sure he leaves? 

Carmen416
Level 2
Santo Domingo, DO

Thank you Colleen!

I just wrote to airbnb platform to ask  for cancel the reservation.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Carmen416  I would suggest you call them explaining the circumstances so they understand the context after you have written to the guest.