account security

James146
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

account security

I've had my hosting account hacked repeatedly in the last week (by the same intrepid con artist, apparently!), despite changing my password and disabling connections through Facebook, Google +, etc. The hacker changed my payouts to an account in Europe on several separate occasions. Airbnb has not been as proactive as I'd like in fixing the problem - their support never reached out to me throughtout the last 96+ hours of trying to resolve the hack. I *hope* it's resolved now - I just noticed that I'm the only one accessing my account for the last few hours, and I've got (another) fresh password on the account. I also (re) added my proper bank account.

So my question is: despite hosting, and banking, in the good ol' US of A, when I update my payment info, I get the following message:

"Important Tip: The price for one or more of your listings is set in a currency other than EUR. Please set the price using the same currency, or otherwise your payouts will be funded in USD."

This makes me super nervous, since the hacker tried to route my payments to Europe. I've tried switching bank accounts and the same message appears. Any suggestions or thoughts? I bank with USAA, fwiw.

Thanks everybody,

James

10 Replies 10
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@James146 If you suspect that your account is being compromised, you need to do more than change your password.  Check ALL your account notifications (email, phone numbers) and alert notifications for emails and text.  Also, click the box under the Security section to request alerts for unauthorized logins from devices you don't use.  AFTER you have done all that, then change your password.  

If you suspect that your account isn't protected after you've done this, contact Airbnb for assistance.  

Hope this helps!  Clare

Yes, thanks Clare, I took all of those steps as well. I'm at a loss as to where the intrusion origniated, but I suspect it was through a third-party application that I only noticed was added today. Regardless - still no idea about the Euro warning.

@James146  It all starts with a scammer obtaining a user's email.  Most users, hosts and guests alike, are unaware that emails are the first key to getting access to a user's account.  The second key is the login password.  How do they do they get that?  They send phishing emails or texts, if they have a phone number, of all sorts pretending to be from Airbnb asking users in one form or another to "login"  by which means they capture the password. This is standard operating procedures for scammers on many sites such as Netflix and others that have been in the news recently. 

Scammers are incredibly sophisticated. They have set up websites that have the word "Airbnb" in them but are totally fake.  They even use Airbnb's format and language style.  Check out this phishing attempt from a while ago.  The "lure" was a subscription to getting better search placements.  Who wouldn't want that, right?

Airbnb Premium scam.JPG

Looks real ?  Nope, there is no "airbnbpremium.host" domain associated with Airbnb.  Scammers make these things look so real it is difficult to tell. 

Once a scammer gets into a user's account, they take control and change the settings and/or accounts to divert payments which may have happened to you.  Are you missing any reservation payouts? Also, scammers post phony, too good to be true,  listings with pictures encouraging guest to contact the "host" off site with a personal email.  This is what it looks like: 

Scam 2.JPG

Next, the "host" sends wire transfer instructions for payment...outside of Airbnb.  It's like giving cash to a stranger on the street. 

This is probably more than you wanted to know so please forgive me.  

The EUR issue is bothering me.  I would advise you to contact Airbnb to be sure all is correct with your payout account. 

Also, if I didn't send this to you before, here's a great help article to determine if an email is really from Airbnb:

www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-really-from-airbnb

I'd be happy to answer any more questions you might have, Clare

Hi @Clare0, thanks for taking the time to write a truly fantastic and thorough response. Fortunately, I don't think I fell for any of those particular scams, and I'm (cautiously) optimistic that I'm in the clear.

But the EUR message is still there. My bank account (as yet) is still mine, and listed as pending. Will update my status once something changes. Yes, I should contact Airbnb. I certainly understand why Airbnb makes technical support difficult to access, when knowledgable community members can answer the vast, vast majority of questions, but the arm's-length response to more specific, programmatic problems is frustrating. I've still yet to receive even an email from the security manager assigned to my case.

Hi @Clare0, airbnb finally called me and we resolved the issue. The EUR message was a back end fix - not sure if that's the vulnerability the hacker used or not. But, I'm happy to have this chapter closed.

I wish I had a cleaner answer for *how* this happened, exactly. I'm proud enough to think it's unlikely I entered personal info into a dummy site, and I'm sure I never left a workstation with my information up. But, ultimately, no harm no foul - the lesson learned for me is to monitor closely and regularly!

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I think Claire's answer is more thorough, but I was going to suggest at a minimum checking out the security section under the "account" section and seeing where logins are coming from.  If they aren't all from you/devices you use/places you typically login, then that is a red flag.

Thanks Melanie, I've done that as well.

Oh!  I just noticed you are in Charlottesville!  That is where we lived most recently - miss it so much!

Yeah, Charlottesville is the best! You'll have to come visit sometime. Thanks for the help!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@James146

After following @Clare0's fantastic inclusive advice, you could also think of changing your email address just in case, at least several weeks or months until the dust settles and then switch back.