air bnb are criminals

air bnb are criminals

Booking REF ****  

I am absolutely disgusted with airbnb. My daughter and her friends have booked an apartment in Amsterdam for 6 people, for the dates 21 to 28 Nov 2017. They paid £1434.

We have now discovered that it is a scam and there is no such property and the money has disappeared.

Air BNB have not helped in the slightest and you are culpable as you advertised this property and in affect aiding this scam taking young peoples money.

I have now read of similar issues with air BNB, including a case taken up by the guardian where you refunded a man in excess of £4000, in a very similar situation to this.
So I intend to contact the guardian to ask why they think this would be any different and why you would not issue a refund, in our case.
I will also start a social media campaign and ensure as many people as possible are aware of the dangers of using Air BNB and your complete lack of customer security and support.

Sarah ****

**[Personal information hidden for safety reasons]
11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

Airbnb will pay the host on the first day they after the guest's check in.  21 november is still in the future. I means your money should still be at Airbnb's, not at the host. I am convinced Airbnb will sort this out for you, if you follow proper procedures to contact them. What steps did you take ?

Please read also:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M18763Best regards,

Emiel

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sarah

I'm not a criminal and I'm on Airbnb, but I do feel your pain, Airbnb have gotten too big for their boots and you're basically a pain in the side for Airbnb. I said it before and 'll say it again unless Airbnb get their act together, the government will have to step in and sort them out, like Lord Mayor Khan has done with Uber.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Emiel1
Level 10

Hi.

I looked up this reservation number on the Internet.

I shows up frequently as to be a scam.

It is not an Airbnb reservation from the official Airbnb website.

So you can't blame Airbnb for being criminals.

Here it is : http://www.safe-trancation.com/

This is clearly a scam, totally NOT airbnb procedures, BE AWARE, STAY AWAY from it !

Hope Airbnb will investigate it anyway,

Best,Emiel

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Firstly @Sarah916 you are not talking to Airbnb - you are talking to a community forum mainly made up of hosts who help each other. for free and isn't monitored by Airbnb.

Secondly it sounds like your daughter has been scammed because she didn't book through Airbnb but decided for some reason to go outside of Airbnb (contrary to the advice they advise) and pay a scammer directly.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/126/what-methods-of-payment-does-airbnb-accept 

It is terrible that this has happened but I can't see how it is Airbnb's fault that your daughter chose to do this.

If she had booked through Airbnb they would be holding the funds and if there was a problem with the listing she would have received a full refund and a 10% credit in addition to help her find something else.

I don't know what a Guardian is but if you feel they can help then do contact them. Of course your daughter should have already reported this fraud to the police. If she paid by a credit card the company might be able to do a charge back. Has she asked them.

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

If your daughter booked and paid via Airbnb she will be refunded. If she transacted off-site it is not Airbnb’s responsibility

thank you all for your replies but they did book though air bnb

the problem is the fraudsters have an excellent copy and the email sent looks exactly like something from air bnb 

so their security is definately breeched 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Sarah916 you aren't being clear.

1. Are you saying that your daughter booked with a legitimate host on Airbnb and despite the notification on the listing tell her not to pay the host directly your daughter did this?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/199/what-should-i-do-if-someone-asks-me-to-pay-outside-of-the-...

OR

2. That your daughter fell for a scam and booked directly outside of Airbnb.

If it is the former she needs to pursue discussion with them.

As also already advised she needs to report this to her bank and the police. Has she done this?

Can you link to the listing on Airbnb that you say your daughter booked? 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah916 - so your daughter booked through a fake website, but one that looks like Airbnb's? How did she come to find that?

Emiel1
Level 10

Hi,

As @Helen3 told you allready: go with your daughter to the police, bring all information you have with you. Allthough your daughter should have paid more attention, it's still a crime to take money and let it disappear. Pleace look at the link i provided earlier in this thread about the same reservation code, which clearly is a SCAM. Maybe the info in it can be usefull for police.

Amsterdam is a nice city, hope your daughter can somehow visit it in future, but don't run right into the arms of wrong people ! My perception is she neglected all proper procedures and warnings from Airbnb, otherwise she could never end op with this reservation number.

Best regards,Emiel

@Sarah916

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

There is more information about various scams on this thread in the above link.

How did your daughter find the property, on the airbnb site or some other place.?

Maybe sharing more details would help the discussion.

**[Moved from duplicate post]

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Sarah916 Did they pay through Airbnb or did they wire the money separately? Airbnb makes it very clear to never send payment outside Airbnb. 

[**Moved from duplicate thread]