airbnb overrides strict cancellation policy

Ann-And-Mad0
Level 3
Bondi, Australia

airbnb overrides strict cancellation policy

All hosts should be aware aribnb can overrides your strict cancellation policy

I had a guest stay who did not like my mattress  after 12 nights sleeping on it  ( an excellent $2000 mattress)   she said she liked a softer mattress and had trouble sleeping

airbnb decided this was an acceptable excuse to shorten her stay by 10 weeks.     I was told by airbnb I had to accept a reduced booking and get paid 50% of the days cancelled.  If I did not accept the offer of 50%   they would override my strict cancellation policy and I would not get paid for remaining days.    

4 customer service  people contacted me about allowing the guest to check out early.   I have had over 200 guests and none complained about the mattress.  One complaint and the guest is allowed to check out early.      This guest was a first time user of Airbnb   I have been on the site with 4 units for 5 years.      

So do not fell secure with a strict cancellation policy as airbnb can override it anytime.

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann-And-Mad0  It's so unconscionable that Airbnb does this. It sounds like maybe the guest was just using "uncomfortable bed" as an excuse to cancel, but if it was actually true that she found the bed too hard (I remember you wrote this in a previous post) and felt she couldn't sleep on it for another 10 weeks, for a booking that long, I'd have been inclined to just go out and buy a soft foam topper. Of course, if she was just scamming, and you foiled her complaint like this, she likely would have come up with yet another complaint to cancel the booking.

I hope you can manage to get at least some of those dates rebooked.

I offered to buy a  topper for the bed... She refused this as an option..      She did not have another 10 weeks to stay   she had 9 days.  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann-And-Mad0 

If the booking was shortened by 10 weeks, then it never had the  "strict cancellation policy" attached to it.

A "long term stay" booking always has the "long term stay" cancellation policy attached to it.

the booking was shortened by 10 days   and I can assure you if was booked under the strict cancellation policy.

airbnb informed me they can override this policy.     so therefore its not really a policy

yes it did   Airbnb ignored my policy

Ann-And-Mad0
Level 3
Bondi, Australia

please note   an error in my message   the guest stay was shortened by 10 days  not weeks

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia