airbnb will not accept our payment?

Answered!
Trish6
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

airbnb will not accept our payment?

Hi, can someone advise -

We have been trying to complete a reservation for a stay at an airbnb place.  The host is accepting it. 

Our Mastercard has lots of room.  The rep at the CC company confirms it is good to go, but airbnb is blocking the payment. 

I sent a request for help to the help centre and they do not know why and only suggested that we use Paypal.  We have paypal and have it ready to go but it does not come up as an option to pay.  We are in Canada.

How the heck do we pay?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

For any issues with your reservation related to payments, we recommend contacting our support team for further assistance. See our Get Help or Contact Airbnb article.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138
Nirav3
Level 1
Woking, United Kingdom

Thanks Letti, after your adivse to change name as per the card, it worked for me. Thanks a lot for sharing these details. 🙂

Same here, I used my TD credit card but failed to make the payment. It works before

Rodrigo354
Level 2
Mexico City, Mexico

Two years after your incident and Airbnb hasn´t solved the problem. I´ve been dealing with this problem for the past 10 MONTHS, no one at Airbnb is of any help, this is very strange since I´ve never had any problems with any of my payments anywhere else. Airbnb is just losing customers because of a problem that shouldn´t be there in the first place. 

This is so frustrating and I can't stop wondering if this is some sort of scheme to get people use paypal....

Probably.  I stopped using my Paypal account six years ago after they granted a payment to an account I cancelled -- and refused to refund the money.  Paypal has been know to grant payments to merchants without question, so you literally have to use it as sparingly as possible and watch your statement like a hawk.

Melissa598
Level 1
Mérida, Mexico

I've been trying to make a payment with my Chase card - the bank confirms they see the attempts and there should be no reason on their side for the payment not to go through.  AirBnB continues to give me an error message.  It won't accept PayPal as a payment either.  I see there is no hope to finding a solution here..... 😞 

Darren59
Level 3
Tahoe City, CA

I’m having the exact same problem for the last few weeks. I’m using a Chase Sapphire Reserve card that works for everything else including VRBO bookings but I keep getting the “Your bank couldn’t confirm this card” message on Airbnb. I’ve spoken to Airbnb customer service a dozen times, and every time they tell me the problem is on the bank’s side. I’ve spoken with both Chase and Verified by Visa and they both say no attempts have come through from Airbnb to charge the card. 

Im a Superhost as well as a regular Airbnb guest and I’ve had to make my recent bookings through VRBO. I’m now starting the process of listing my own rental on VRBO because god knows how many bookings I’m losing due to the apathy and ineptitude of Airbnb customer service and technical support. 

@Darren59  Just out of curiouslty are you booking on AirBnB.com?

I’ve tried on Airbnb.com on a MacBook Air using Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, also on a Windows PC desktop using explorer, and I’ve also tried with the Airbnb App on my iPhone. I’ve literall tried every silly combination the Airbnb “support” staff recommended and then some. This is a recurring bug in the Airbnb system and they refuse to acknowledge it. How can a “tech” company in the Bay Area be so useless at programming? It’s like Boeing putting out airplanes that can’t fly and refusing to admit it even though there is dozens of people standing there telling them their planes can’t fly. Truely mind boggling. 

I'm having the same issue with my card! 

On point! I messaged them saying please report this to your engineering team, and the response is that he checked and seems I should be good to do and there's nothing they can do....REPORT TO YOUR ENGINEERING TEAM THATS WHAT YOU CAN DO!!!

Just thought I'd jump in here: I have the exact same problem, using a Chase Saphire Reserve CC as well. My bank confirmed it's not on their end - they see the payment trying to go through, but that they're "redacted" (not the word they used, but something similar) on AirBnb's side before it even hits the bank. I have had this error before today (a few months ago), but figured that it would have been resolved by a competent company by now. 

I am a developer and am looking at the error that's getting thrown: 

error_code420

error_details"Unable to perform action. Please try again through the website or contact support if you need immediate assistance."

error_message"Unfortunately, a server error prevented your request from being completed. Airbnb may be undergoing maintenance or your connection may have timed out. Please try again."

Really seems like it's an internal error on AirBnb's part. It's really concerning that this has been an issue for some time and hasn't been resolved. Hope we get some assistance, and in the meantime I'll send in a bug report or something. 

Oh yeah, I've been getting the same **bleep** for a week and the support team has just kept telling me that the problem comes from my bank. I don't get it! Because the most logical thought I can be aware of is my card working as normal as I've done dozens of payments on other platforms except Airbnb, there couldn't be any problem with my card or my bank!!! Really annoying and frustrating! Just curious, eventually have you solved it yet?

OMG I'm using Chase Sapphire Reserve too!!! For $500 annual fee I haven't been so frustrated with anything else other than Airbnb right now...Thanks for suggesting VRBO I think I'll check it out too.

I know this is a a very old post but that thought has occurred to me. Do the hosts know that airbnb is totally messing up their income by being incompetent? I do not think so and if you do alert a host about it they cannot do anything.