arriving a day early

Kathleen36
Level 1
Whittier, NC

arriving a day early

I had a guest and her family arrive at 4am on Friday morning , Check in is at 3pm and they paid for Fri & sat stay, They took all the shampoos I had for all guests a months supply, I had to leave my home at 4am because they sorta demanded I let them in as it was raining out, on Friday when they where leaving in the afternoon to go to lunch I noticed the woman had my earrings on, I did not say anything but the shock on my face should hav e been a clue. As I said they showed up 13 hours early in the middle of the night and I just grbbed my critters. purse and sleepy self and left the house to the family. They knocked the internet service out 3 times , which mind you 6 years at this house first time internet knocked out and 3 days in a row grrrrr. Anyways I feel like they should pay for the extra day , and my earrings.  Any suggestions or help would be great tthank you

4 Replies 4
Tulio0
Level 10
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

@Kathleen36 that's really sad to read. What I would recommend is asking every guest when they intend to check-in and check-out, so that you can agree to receive them at their expected time or suggest when it is possible. From my experience, the vast majority of guests never read the house policies. In this case, you would have asked when they intended to arrive and they would have said 4 am, then you would be able to emphasize check-in happens a lot later and ask them if they agree on it, otherwiser you would be able to cancel the reservation with a reason.

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Whoa. I assume they are out by now? I would have kicked them out (or at least contacted Airbnb) the moment I saw my earrings on the guest. That is unsanitary, not to mention weird. Did she steal them? Did you ask her about it?

Internet service sort of sounds like something you should deal with on your end, even though it's usually fine. I can't imagine what they would do wrong to knock out internet service.

Re shampoos and stuff, were they stored away? How many little shampoo bottles are we talking about? You might have to just chalk that up to the cost of doing business. Only leave stuff out -- anything, like food, soap, etc -- that you don't mind losing. I've heard of guests just straight up emptying a tin of teabags into their purse. Oh well. Weird but not a huge deal.

Did you talk to them about the early arrival? Or will this be the first they've heard about it?

Open up a case in the resolution center. Charge for the extra day and cite your check in time. Also charge for the earrings.

And please let us know what happens.

Laurie6
Level 3
Mt Pleasant, SC

I am very clear about arrival and departure times and send that out more than once. I would not allow anyone entry in the middle of the night; occassionally I allow a one hour early arrival. 

Establish appropriate parameters that are comfortable for yourself and abide by them. 

I am going with #Laurie, your place your rules.

David