blocking dates then unblocking dates incase of family reasons

Answered!
Norma_Keith0
Level 2
Tofino, Canada

blocking dates then unblocking dates incase of family reasons

So If I block some dates, then unblock them in case my family is visiting. Then they change their mind, does airbnb keep them blocked?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If you are just talking about unblocking dates you have made unavailable because your family planned to visit (without them having booked through airbnb), yes, certainly you can simply unblock them. I've done this several times, for various reasons.  The only circumstances I know of where the host can't unblock dates is if the host cancels a reservation without first contacting airbnb, having them concur that the reason for cancelling is valid, and them actually handling the cancellation. Otherwise a host cancellation results in the "punishment" of those dates remaining blocked. Other than that, a host can block and unblock dates as needed.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If you are just talking about unblocking dates you have made unavailable because your family planned to visit (without them having booked through airbnb), yes, certainly you can simply unblock them. I've done this several times, for various reasons.  The only circumstances I know of where the host can't unblock dates is if the host cancels a reservation without first contacting airbnb, having them concur that the reason for cancelling is valid, and them actually handling the cancellation. Otherwise a host cancellation results in the "punishment" of those dates remaining blocked. Other than that, a host can block and unblock dates as needed.

Thanks,  I thought that as a host, I would be fine with blocking and unblocking my calender.  Except if I cancelled a reservation that was already booked.  But then I was not sure.  So I thought I best ask,  I was getting confused.

Thanks for your help in clearing that up Sarah.

Thanks

@Norma_Keith0 if it is just your family visiting, do you really need to unblock your calendar at all?

Or... do you make your family make a booking via AirBnB before you let them stay with you?

(Which, if true, is pretty awesome.)

Norma_Keith0
Level 2
Tofino, Canada

Yes just family...I don't have room in my house so I let my family stay in our 2 bedroom rental .... So I block the rental off ...just they are not sure what days yet...so I block off more than needed... then will unblock as we know more..   Thanks.. 

LOL I don't charge any family... ( yet )

@Norma_Keith0  Good guy, not charging your family 😉  Actually I've read that some new hosts get family or friends to book via airbnb when they're first starting hosting, then reimburse them, so they get some good reviews under their belt.

LOL  ....  I think that is kinda  being a bit cazy ...  or paranoid.... all will be fine if your a honest and good host.    🙂

Poppy14
Level 2
Palisade, CO

My question is different.  I denied a request as they had too many people for the room.  It was stated for one.   It remained blocked after I denied them.  This was a number of months ago, so am not really sure all the details.  Is this the way it works?   

@Poppy0, declining a Booking Request does not usually block off the dates in your calendar.

Was there something unusual about the situation?

I also denied a request for the same reason.... all good... did not have my calender blocked by airbnb. BUT once you accept a request and it is booked... different story...then you need to contact airbnb if they put in 1 guest and there are really 4 or something....