can I use the purchase of my breakfast foods as a write off as a airbnb host?

Linda30
Level 1
Urbana, IL

can I use the purchase of my breakfast foods as a write off as a airbnb host?

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Linda30,

I would think that you can as it is a cost of operating your business but you would need to check into your tax legislation.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Linda30 Here's a helpful resource: 

http://assets.airbnb.com/eyguidance/us.pdf

@Evelyn0 is doing a Tax workshop, go to her site (eveland.com) to sign up - this is for US tax payers, i haven't checked your profile to see where you are located.

Thank Milu.. The site is actual evelynbadia.com

Joseph0
Level 5
San Francisco, CA

@Linda30

Check with your local State laws regarding food Services , since many states may require you to have a Board of Health Certificate for preparing and serving of food (even in your home to paying guests). Especially if you charge guests a fee for it or do you include it in the charge of the room ? California has a Home Cooked food law , but are certain restrictions about the hows and whys and you certainly don't want the IRS to start questioning certain deductions you may take . Also , are you required by any local laws to be registered to do Airbnb ? Or are you legally Licensed to operate a business as a traditional B&B ?

I hope this helps answer your question rather then create more for you