can i increase the security deposit in a special offer?

Mary540
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

can i increase the security deposit in a special offer?

i am going to rent my house out for a photo shoot and am trying to increase the security deposit for only that booking. i am able to increase the cost but not the deposit? any ideas welcome and appreciated!
all my best,

mary

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Mary540 No, the deposit at the time of inquiry is the deposit that sticks. You should also read more about how Airbnb handles the deposit in the Help Center, as these funds are actually held against the guest. 

Thanks for that!

Now that I know what the guest is trying to accomplish, can I just raise it for that one day and then request that the guest try to rebook? They want to do a photo shoot so I am looking for extra coverage.thanks!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mary540

If they have already booked, they would have to cancel and loose their booking fees. Or you would have to cancel and face the penalties and the guests will not be able to rebook as blocking your calendar for the cancelled dates are one of the penalties.

Security deposit is not charged to the guests and will only come into action if there is a claim and you can only claim following certain procedures determined by airbnb.

If you are uncomfortable with this booking you should decline rather than relying on a non-existant security deposit that you do not control.

thanks! @Marit0-anne the guest is currently waiting for me to send a special offer -- we are in agreement on the higher security deposit and day fee. i can amend the rate but not the deposit? or can i amend the deposit somehow that i am not seeing for this one occasion?

@Mary540 What you’re not understanding is Airbnb doesn’t even actually CHARGE the deposit, so it doesn’t really matter what you have it as. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mary540

If you need to change the deposit you would have to decline the current request, change your settings and ask the guests to start again.