cancel without an acceptable reason

Answered!

cancel without an acceptable reason

Our group of 10 people booked a really nice mansion at Sedona after Covid. I have been contacting the host ever since after the booking of the mansion. During our conversation, the host offered us to extend 1 day and half the price. ( 1 day for more than $1000) but unfortunately, we all have to go back to work after the trip, and sadly I had to refuse her offer. However, 1 day prior to the trip, the host sent me an email saying the Airbnb software problem, they double booked us??? and had to cancel our trip. I of course didn't accept it was so mad at this so-called superhost. She later offered me another 2 of the other house but no reply then. This is so unacceptable and disrespectful. Our trip has been ruined by this host. Since we didn't stay at her mansion, so I couldn't leave a review on her page. Our group believes the host didn't double book, she just offered the house to other people who can accept her wanted dates. 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Yanxi2  I'm sorry you had this experience. It certainly sounds like very unprofessional behavior on the part of the host, and her story of double booking doesn't sound true. There definitely can be tech glitches, both on Airbnb and between platforms if the host advertises on other booking sites, and double bookings can happen but how she didn't realize this until a day before your check-in is what makes it highly suspect. Either that or she's a new, inexperienced host who doesn't have things set up properly.

However, both hosts and guests can cancel at any time, for any or no reason. It's just as distressing for hosts when guests cancel last minute as it is for guests to have that happen to them.

When guests cancel, they may or may not receive some refund, depending on the cancellation policy of the listing.

When hosts cancel, they receive quite a few penalties- Airbnb blocks their calendars for the cancelled dates (which in this case probably doesn't affect the host, as the other booking was likely booked through a different platform or a direct booking site she has), the host receives a $50-$100 fine, a notice appears on tneir review page saying "Host cancelled this booking XX days before check-in, which can nake future guests hesitant to book with them, and if they have Superhost status, they will lose that.

What you can do is to report this to Airbnb. And flag the listing. Then they may contact her and warn her that if she makes a habit of doing this to guests, they will delist her.

One thing I will suggest to you, as a new guest with no reviews- at least do a little write up about yourself on your profile, so hosts can get a sense of you. Many hosts would decline a booking request for a 10 person group from a new guest with no reviews, as hosts are concerned about the possibilty of guests throwing parties and trashing their homes. The more forthcoming you can be about yourself, what work or studies you do, what your interests are, the more likely hosts will be willing to take a chance on you. You want hosts to be able to read your little blurb and think "She sounds like a nice, responsible person." 

When you look at Airbnb listings, you see photos, descriptions, past reviews, and depending on the listing and reviews, may get a good sense of the host. A brand new guest is a total stranger the host knows nothing about, so whatever you can do to provide some info is a good idea.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Yanxi2  I'm sorry you had this experience. It certainly sounds like very unprofessional behavior on the part of the host, and her story of double booking doesn't sound true. There definitely can be tech glitches, both on Airbnb and between platforms if the host advertises on other booking sites, and double bookings can happen but how she didn't realize this until a day before your check-in is what makes it highly suspect. Either that or she's a new, inexperienced host who doesn't have things set up properly.

However, both hosts and guests can cancel at any time, for any or no reason. It's just as distressing for hosts when guests cancel last minute as it is for guests to have that happen to them.

When guests cancel, they may or may not receive some refund, depending on the cancellation policy of the listing.

When hosts cancel, they receive quite a few penalties- Airbnb blocks their calendars for the cancelled dates (which in this case probably doesn't affect the host, as the other booking was likely booked through a different platform or a direct booking site she has), the host receives a $50-$100 fine, a notice appears on tneir review page saying "Host cancelled this booking XX days before check-in, which can nake future guests hesitant to book with them, and if they have Superhost status, they will lose that.

What you can do is to report this to Airbnb. And flag the listing. Then they may contact her and warn her that if she makes a habit of doing this to guests, they will delist her.

One thing I will suggest to you, as a new guest with no reviews- at least do a little write up about yourself on your profile, so hosts can get a sense of you. Many hosts would decline a booking request for a 10 person group from a new guest with no reviews, as hosts are concerned about the possibilty of guests throwing parties and trashing their homes. The more forthcoming you can be about yourself, what work or studies you do, what your interests are, the more likely hosts will be willing to take a chance on you. You want hosts to be able to read your little blurb and think "She sounds like a nice, responsible person." 

When you look at Airbnb listings, you see photos, descriptions, past reviews, and depending on the listing and reviews, may get a good sense of the host. A brand new guest is a total stranger the host knows nothing about, so whatever you can do to provide some info is a good idea.

Hi Sarah, 

Thanks for your advice and guide to how Airbnb hosts work here. I will definately take your words.