canceling a reservation

canceling a reservation

Can anyone explain to me why Airbnb is forcing me to never decline (for various scenarios I will explain) ? is declining a reservation the same thing as canceling?

1. declining - i either am booked at almost full capacity and accepting one more reservation would mean a miserable experience sharing the bathroom an kitcken, for everyone else

or I am not comfortable with that guest or do not have enough information about them to be assured it will be a good experience for them as well as for us

or the guest asked me questions, i responded and approved her/him for booking, but they failed to book in a timely manner; in the meantime someone else booked those days.

2. canceling - only happened once, again doing some repairs for the room, and i figured it's better to cancel 2 weeks before, and allow them to find another place, rather than wait until 1 day before their arrival, and then cancel and leave them without a place.

Now I got an email from Airbnb with the subject "Canceling could get you removed from search results" apparently I cancel too often!?! I only canceled once for the reasons explained above ... the rest are declining, and I belive I have the right to accept or decline who can sleep in my house, and safety and comfort are my main goals, for my family as well as for the (other) guests already living with us.

Is one cancelation borderline "blacklisted host", meaning now we are "bad bad people" and close to being erased from search results? do i not have the right to chose what guests can stay with me? is my personal safety less important to airbnb? i never left anyone in the road, and made sure if circumstances make it unlikely to host, that I give them alternatives to find another place.  Also I chose to pay extra for another contractor to finish the repairs before the date the guest decided to come.

And last but not least, why is it so hard to reach airbnb? the email i got, cannot be replied to, and the help section just goes in a loop, or asking or searching the current conversation.

Thanks for your time,

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's a system generated email - so it's a bit of a catch all.

Constant, repeated declines will move you down the listings. And, I believe that after 10 sequential declines you get a warning - followed by suspension of your account if it continues. Airbnb doesn't force you never to decline. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Cancellations are different as you are affecting the travel plans of a guest. You should always speak to Airbnb before cancelling so that they can help and hopefully you don't get penalised. Repairs can fall under extenuating circumstances - but of course the platform doesn't know why you have cancelled, hence the need to contact Airbnb.

got it, Gerry And Rashid, thank you so much for the time and clarity. 🙂 About declining, I feel that I do not have much control over how many declines I will have, of course I have a good reason,

either safety, not feeling comfortable, or not getting responses at the questions I asked, that usually causes the decline response.

I almost feel like I owe it to myself and the other guests to use my best jusgement, so if that might cause my account to be flagged for "warning"

so be it, because safety and the experience is always above profits, for us.

About canceling, I panicked hearing that the room might not be ready by the arrival date, and wanted to be sure the guest will be fine. I should have called airbnb first,

I will know next time.

Thanks so much, have a great day,