cancellation agreement

Floor15
Level 1
Amersfoort, Netherlands

cancellation agreement

Hi,

I want to rent a villa for next summer and we found a great one. The only problem was the cancellation policy because it says that we will get a 50% refund in case we have to cancel. I have messaged the owner and he has confirmed in de messages that we will get a 100% refund of our payment if we can not come due to corona. My question now is if the owner is bound by this agreement? Because the cancellation policy says something else but he agreed on the 100% true messages on Airbnb. 

I hope someone has an answer for me!

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Floor15 Interesting question. I believe that Airbnb will force the host to honour their position if it is clearly stated in the message system BUT there are no guarantees as to how customer service respond. 

It is all a matter of trust at the end of the day - Our listing states we will refund if a stay becomes illegal and I HOPE people believe us.

Be aware that whatever the host says they cannot guarantee that Airbnb will refund their 20% (fish) service fee. We have been successful in getting this for guests where they were not able to visit legally but it took two calls before we found a sensible agent to help us.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Floor15 ,

Full refund is (technically) only true:

- if the host can not accommodate you in case of restrictions by govenmental law

- If the host is sick (infected by COVID).

In both cases the host must cancel the reservation and you will receive full refund.

If you can not travel because of restrictions, you need to cancel and the normal cancellation policy applies.

If you are sick (infected by COVID), you also need to cancel, but the COVID extenuating circumstances cancellation policy may apply for full refund.

I personally would not book an accommodation with a "strict cancellation policy" in these pandemic times. You can ask the host to change te policy to a less strict one OR try to get a travel insurrance which covers cancellation.

Some host will promise you full refund if case you need to cancel, but if they do not fulfill the promise, Airbnb can do nothing for you. Also a host can (offcourse) not refund Airbnb Guests Service fees.

Hope this helps