cancellation from hosts

Hiromi13
Level 1
New York, United States

cancellation from hosts

Hi. I'm so tired of looking for a place. I booked 2 places in Tokyo and Osaka. It went smoothly but a week ago I got a messeage from the host in Tokyo she needed to cancel my booking because she left her room. Okay,  I understdood that. Then I got another cancellaion notice form the host in Osaka and no message from him. I sent a message but no answer. He still has other place in Osaka and I'm trying to book that place. Still no answer. 

Are these cancellation from hosts very common? I am wondering if the new booking will be cancelled right before the trip and no where to stay. 

4 Replies 4
Ryan411
Level 1
Penryn, CA

I'm learning they are pretty common. I booked my stay months in advance. Then about 45 days from the time I'm set to leave I got a message from my host saying they can't host me the last week of my stay because they have family coming into town. So they changed the dates, so I now have the last 10 days of that part of my trip to find a place to stay. Before I accepted the new dates I sent a message to make sure that the rate per night would stay the same because they were the ones to cancel, I was sent a message saying I had booked at a discounted rate, and that the rate per night would go up, they proceeded to tell me that their neighborhood was worth a lot more especially for the time of year I need the accomodations. It went up a little but was still a fair deal and because every other place was booked up with in my time range I accepted. I am suppose to be refunded 380 dollars but I am now finding to fill those days because of deposits it's going to cost me over 1,000 dollars! Now I can see that my next accommodations I have booked with a different host, which backs up perfectly to the original dates I had booked of the first host has an opening. So I'm trying to push my stay up with that host, however I won't have money in my account for possibly two weeks, I'm finding out now, from the refund of the first host. I had read of cancellations and was afraid of that so I went with a "superhost" that title doesn't mean crap. You take a chance no matter what. 

Hiromi13
Level 1
New York, United States

Thank you for sharing your experience, Ryan. That's awful to hear yours.  For me, I needed to pay way more than the original place because of the location. I really hope you get full refund ASAP and get a peace.

The host in Osaka sent me a message that there is a new law in Japan and he needs to leave the place.  I need to see what will happen to other places in Japan carefully. 

This is my first booking and I have to say Airbnb may not work for me. 

Thank you again.

Tami31
Level 1
Enmore, Australia

I have booked 5 times for an upcoming trip - 3 were cancelled by the host - only 1 gave a reason - I am going back to trip advisor and hotels (where  I have never had a problem) - It seems to be a problem with air bnb  - I am nervous about further cancellations leaving me accommodation - less close to my trip time

Hiromi13
Level 1
New York, United States

I'm so sorry to hear that, Tami. I totally undertand how you feel.

I think Airbnb should give the hosts penalty fee with any reason and give it to the renters as an extra credit.  I  just got other booking with the host who seemed to be very nice and had great reviews. But who knows. I cross my fingers to stay there without fusses.