cancellation 'penalty' -Re: Instant Booking - Misleading Information, Please Remove Cancellation Pen

Barbara94
Level 2
Addison, VT

cancellation 'penalty' -Re: Instant Booking - Misleading Information, Please Remove Cancellation Pen

Friday, 4/8/16

Re: Instant Booking - Misleading Information, Please Remove Cancellation Penalty $100 & Please Clarify Info on Website & Please

Have a Customer Service Team for Hosts/Guests reachable by phone, email, etc. like every other host site like HomeAway, TripAdvisor, etc.:

Dear Customer Support for AirBnB Hosts,

I am a new AirBnB Host and I was recommended to do Instant Booking in my manage listing setup.  It was my understanding that hosts have 24 hours to accept or decline the instant booking but that doesn't seem to be the case. We had to cancel a recent reservation request for Jeremy 4/2016 and when we did we were sent a message that we will be charge $100 penalty? This is very deceptive and confusing.

AirBnB is so big and makes so much money, why don't you have a phone #, email address for hosts/guests to speak with a customer service support team? Every other hosting website offers that (HomeAway/VRBO, TripAdvisor/FlipKey, etc.)
Please confirm cancelling the $100 penalty from our account. We just removed the Instant Booking feature due to the misleading information regarding offering it as a host as stated above and not having 24 hours to approve or decline w/out penalties.
Please clarify this in your website listings information and please provide a customer service team for folks to speak with to answer questions for hosts and guests like everybody else does. You should too.

Thanks!

Barb Ernst,

Lake Champlain Escape, West Addison, VT 05491, 802-759-2259
bernst@gmavt.net

3 Replies 3
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Barbara94,

First, you should not include so much personal information on your posts as this is a public forum and you open yourself up to some serious security issues.  Second, this is a forum which is monitored by hosts who try to help other hosts like you.  With this request, you would need to contact Airbnb.  Third, if you wish to contact Airbnb, you can click in the link below in the signature and you will find a Help Guide with several ways you can contact Airbnb.

I would like you to point out where you were misled.  I would highly recommend that new hosts like yourself turn off IB until you learn how Airbnb works.  With InstantBook, if the guest books with you, it is confirmed instantly and you do not have 24 hours to accept or decline.  Here is a quick article on Instant Book:

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/187/what-is-instant-book

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

David15
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Hi Barbara:

I'd agree with the earlier reply.  Instant Book is exactly what the name says it is and does exactly what the web site's diocumentation says it does. Many hosts do NOT opt for Instant Booking because that option does not allow for the host to review the potential guest's recommendations and does not allow for the messaging that frequently helps identify problem guests. In fact, the AIrBnB message Boards are full of issues regarding problem guests who target hosts who use IB because they otherwise have bad recommendations.  If you have experience with other sites ("HomeAway/VRBO, TripAdvisor/FlipKey, etc.") you are probably experienced as a host and can see the value in the time to check up on  a potential guest before allowing  them in your home.

I'd talk to the person who advise you regarding IB so they do not make the same recommendation again to others!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Instant Book is a recipie for disaster - you take such a massive risk and you are not supported by Airbnb if something goes wrong. You have no option to ask why someone is staying, what they intend to do while they are there, etc...

To me it; the equivalent of someone arriving on your doorstep and walking into your house unannounced. 

It's good for AirBnB revenue but not for you - if someone wants to book your property, then they will email you and you can have that exchange that gives you comfort about your guests.