cancellation penalty when guest requests

Josh83
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

cancellation penalty when guest requests

A guest instant booked with me for July 1-3. It would be he and his 75 lb golden retriever.

I informed him that the week leading up to the July 4th holiday can be intense for dogs that have anxiety about fireworks.

Where I live it can sound like a warzone and it goes on all night and even the best dogs act pretty erratic when fireworks or thunder are in the air. He shrugged it off and said it probably would end by midnight. A day or two went by and I found myself feeling uneasy about it so I sent him another message. I too have a dog and while my dog is fine with fireworks, dogs that behave erratically tend to rile her up. So I told him that I was concerned for his safety, the safety of his dog, and the safety of my house, but I left the decision to him as he knows his dog and his tolerance for such things. He responded "ok... please cancel it."

So I did.

Not knowing that those days (lucrative days) would be blocked off.

It didn't feel like extenuating circumstances because the reservation is still several weeks away and he ASKED me to cancel it.

I have to take responsibility for my ignorance of the cancellation penalties that were to apply, but it seems somewhat unfair as I was looking out for the guy and doing as he asked.

According to what I am reading had I just said "I'm sorry you have to cancel it" or if I had selected  "I'm uncomfortable with this reservation" when I cancelled it then I would have those days back?

2 Replies 2
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Josh83

This is very unlucky especially when you both were sort of unsure about the situation with the fireworks. 

Have you tried to contact Airbnb to explain the situation? 

You can contact Airbnb via the Contact Airbnb Guide. 

Please keep me updated. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Josh83

In such cases when you are uncomfortable with a guest, you should act proactively and contact airbnb with your concern and have them cancel the reservation for you penalty free.

Now your only chance is to contact airbnb and plead your case. The message thread between you two should say it all.