cancellation penalty

Doesjka-And-Rob0
Level 2
Nijmegen, Netherlands

cancellation penalty

for the first time i most unfortunately might have to cancel a reservation as a host. i cannot accomodate this party that has booked for coming july. do i get a penalty?

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

i do not get what ‘the first. ancellation within a period of 6 months’ does refer to. does it mean fist 6 months of membership? or that your reservation must be within 6 months? it is not clear to me. 

@Doesjka-And-Rob0 it means that if you have not made any cancellations in the previous 6 months, then Airbnb will not charge you a cancellation fee.

The other penalties apply regardless.

Chris662
Level 2
Warsaw, Poland

It is not fair to punish me/host with 50$ or 100$ or more, if I cancel a reservation.
I get around 20$ for one night.
This punishment fee should be according a one night rent.

There is a difference between profit oriented companies and some from time to time renters.

I consider to finish my cooperation with AirBnb as this regulation is unfair and privat host unfriendly !!!!!!

@Chris662 why do you have to cancel a reservation?

could be a lot of reasons

maybe i got other plans, illness, long term guest ....

@Chris662 I see.

So you don't have any specific plans to cancel anyone right now?

You just want the flexibility to cancel your guests travel plans and you don't want it to be expensive for you?

it is not an actual case, but i do not like this punishment, 

for sure I am a serious and valuable host, but what happens if, and the main point is, that there is the same penality for a host who earns 20$ or 500$ a night. 

there is no adequacy

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Chris662

With illness you can come under the "extenuating circumstances" clause where you can contact airbnb and possibly cancel without penalties.

As for long term guests, that is another story.  You either choose to do short term and possibly make more money (but there is also a lot more work involved) or you do long term. If you have taken bookings, you should honour them. Guests need reliable hosts, not hosts that cancel on them at random.  

If you do not plan to list on airbnb in the future, go ahead and cancel. If you do plan to use airbnb in the future, that cancellation will count against you forever after.

"possible" and with medical report ... where we are?

and the main point is, that there is the same penality for a host who earns 20$ or 500$ a night. 

there is no adequacy

additionally if the guest is cancelling ,   you are pushed to give no or a daily notice time