cancellation penalty

Answered!
Cynthia-and-Stuart0
Level 2
Chilliwack, Canada

cancellation penalty

Hi! This is my second year as a host and I am really enjoying the experience. My place sleeps 12 so i usually get large groups for weekend getaways. The parameters have changed for my guest this weekend, which went to a party of 12...to 16 guys for a stag. I and my guest are both uncomfortable with the possibilities that could transpire so I've asked him to withdraw his reservation. He hasn't done it yet and its getting closer to the weekend. Is there a way for me to cancel without getting penalized or having to go some kind of review? I would like to wait it out but it deters another booking for this weekend. Thanks for any suggestions.

Stuart.

1 Best Answer

@Cynthia-and-Stuart0 - you need to contact Airbnb and can cancel because they are already telling you in advance that they are going to violate your rules (16 when your property says 12).  Your house rules also say no parties or events and they're telling you they are going to have a STAG PARTY.   However, Airbnb might point out that you advertize right in the description that you allow for wedding ceremonies for up to 50 people.  That sounds like an Event to me so they may not side with you regarding this lack of consistency.  You need to discuss the situation with Airbnb to get a cancellation because you are not comfortable with this guest.  

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18

@Cynthia-and-Stuart0 - you need to contact Airbnb and can cancel because they are already telling you in advance that they are going to violate your rules (16 when your property says 12).  Your house rules also say no parties or events and they're telling you they are going to have a STAG PARTY.   However, Airbnb might point out that you advertize right in the description that you allow for wedding ceremonies for up to 50 people.  That sounds like an Event to me so they may not side with you regarding this lack of consistency.  You need to discuss the situation with Airbnb to get a cancellation because you are not comfortable with this guest.  

Hi Alice and Jeff,

Good point. I will probably have to have some consistency in my rules. How does one actually contact somebody real at airbnb? Is there an actual email or thru "help" or whatever?

Thanks.

Stuart.

There are many ways to reach someone at Airbnb.  There is a tutorial in the Help Thread of the Community Forum (this will help you the most and give you all the ways to contact them); or you can search for the tutorial in the "search box" above (Contacting Airbnb a Community Help Guide); or there is a phone number on your reservation to contact Airbnb; or use Google - the US contact number pops right up.  

1. a family wish to purchase my home .I have bookings, for after the date that they wish to occupy,so Iwould have to do a few cancelations -how much is the host penalties ?

@Beryl2. You can see what the host penalties are for cancelling confirmed reservations here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

Beryl2
Level 2
Rotorua, New Zealand

Thank you Clare,it is my only cancelation, so no penalty,I'm moving in with family ,so will have to sign off, from Airbnb in January.  I have enjoyed every minute, of hosting for this company , but knocking on 86years ,it is time to hang up my Super Host medal.              Happy Hosting to you,       Regards Beryl

@Beryl2 Aww...one less star in the heavens.  Best of luck to you Beryl!

Buffy2
Level 2
West Meon, United Kingdom

I have a slightly different issue. I have a guest who has booked over the Easter weekend for 3 nights. I state that the Easter weekend booking period is for 4 nights, but they are unwilling to pay for the 4th night. it doesn't seem fair that I have penalties when my policy is clearly stated. How can I discuss this with Airbnb?

@Buffy2. The problem arises because you have not set your minimum stay requirements in your settings.  For example, on your Entire Home tent listing you describe requiring a week stay in August, yet on the system you only require a two night stay.  Combined with your Instant Book setting, I could book a two night stay instantly in August.  

What you need to do is set your settings to match your description.  On a laptop or PC go to Manage Listing > Availability > Trip Length and add a special requirment for August or any other date you want to have a custom minimum night stay. 

On the app, tap on the building icon, then Booking Settings.  Go to Trip Length under Calendar and set you minimum night stay requirement. 

Hope this clears things up for you!

Christina236
Level 3
Nottingham, United Kingdom

I agree with Clare on this, Buffy, think you just have to accept this one as a learning experience. 

Gillian110
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I have been having the issue that I HAVE changed my minimum night bookings (in our case due to the water crisis in Cape Town- l can’t wash towels and sheets for 4 people from a water impact perspective), only to have instant bookings of 1 night stays come through regardless (have had gone back and DOUBLE checked my new minimum is set).

I have now lost my Super Host status and been charged $100 for canceling!! This despite the CT Airbnb hosts being told that bookings cancelled due to water crisis would not carry penalties.

we have a water allocation of 350lts per day which with guests gets split between 9 people!

Why is there no answer to this--seems very reasonable to me.

James1120
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

My building management announced that only home owners will be allowed to use the swimming pool and fitness room. Before this new rule took effect, I informed upcoming reservations about this change and so they could decide whether to find alternative. 

There were a few cancellations and also those who decided to stay anyway. 

Guests who wanted cancellation contacted me about cancel fee which I’m unaware so this fee is charged by Airbnb. I’m not sure how this was resolved with them as they went silent after the cancellation. However, there is currently 1 outstanding issue with one of the cancellations. 

I have been told that due to the amenity change, it is considered as host cancellation and there is a penalty fee for the host. After a few discussions with the Support Center, there is still no resolution and kept being told that I have to be penalized. Any of you have a similar experience and hope some enlightenment from the community. 

@James1120  Call AirBnB back and explain this is a situation beyond your control. You should be allowed to cancel penalty free under extinuating circumstances. You do not control what your building management can do or not do. There should be no questioning on this as extinuating circumstances you just need to spell it out to some of the customer service reps.