cancellation policy from super strict 30 days to flexible, without me knowing

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

cancellation policy from super strict 30 days to flexible, without me knowing

My cancellation policy used to be Super Strict (30 days)

The reason for that was that my villas are situated on a tropical island. To get there, people have to buy a ticket.

I recently received a cancellation, which triggered me to look at the cancellation policy.

It was set to flexible!

I talked to an employee of Airbnb who said that I’m the only one who can change this setting.

I had my last booking via Airbnb in 2020. Bookings stopped because of covid-19

Since I can’t see what my cancellation setting was on completed bookings, an employee of Airbnb checked that for me. It was strict.

When he looked in the history (logs?), he could not find that the cancellation policy has been changed in my account.

I certainly did not do it because it would make no sense to have the cancellation policy set to flexible. This setting would mean that a guest can cancel a day before arrival. I will never be able to fill these dates again.

I can’t find the policy super strict 30 anymore. I assume that when this option disappeared, AirBNB has set the cancellation to flexible.

Fortunately, reservations started again. But they all are on flexible.

Now I run the risk that guest cancel their reservations last minute, leaving me with a financial loss.

Did I miss the communication from AIRBNB that they changed super strict 30 to flexible?

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bob297 

The super strict (30 days) cancellation policy is (according to the information below) still available.

But it can only be used by "software connected hosts"

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#super-strict-30

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

I believe this link shows the old setting I was used to.
This is what I see now:
https://www.airbnb.nl/manage-your-space/34551581/policies-and-rules