cancelled booking

Annie1243
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

cancelled booking

Hi

I just cancelled a booking due to the guest no longer being able to attend due to tier 3 level covid restrictions. The booking of 23rd oct is now showing up as cancelled but I cannot seem to free up the dates to be booked, or change the price so I can ensure I get a booking. Help needed please as 1/2 term booking is critical to me.

thanks

Annie

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Annie1243 You will have to call Airbnb and plead with them. Hosts should never cancel as they get fined and the dates are then blocked.

When you talk to the agent (if you can get through to one) stress that government advice is for guests in Tier 3 areas not to travel and hence there was no choice but to cancel the booking.

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 It is best to ask the guests to cancel the booking. I am I interested to know if you are offering full refunds for these guests? I am hosting in a tier 3 area and have had a few cancellations today, every guest sends a message asking me to issue a full refund which I have done as I feel it’s the right thing to do, however air bnb are no longer refunding service fees for these reasons? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Natasha388 We have written in our listings that we will refund 'any monies we have received if it becomes illegal for us to host or a guest to travel to us' - take a look at our listings and you will see the precise words but this means we are not responsible for the Airbnb fees.

If and when someone cancels then we will suggest they take Airbnb to the small claims court for their service fees as, even though people know there is a pandemic (their argument), I don't think it is fair that people have to guess the trajectory of infections and lockdowns.

It annoys me that Airbnb are taking this stance and I believe the Competition and Markets Authority will have a go at them soon. All their stance does is stop people booking as they fear for their service fees.

Hope this helps

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you @Mike-And-Jane0  this is very helpful it’s actually not illegal for for people not to travel to our area only advised against which makes it difficult to know what to do for the best with bookings, I know hotel owners  in our area are very frustrated as we are in tier 3 but they have not been instructed to close. I do think it’s unfair that we do the right thing as hosts and refund our part but air bnb are keeping the fees.

I hope you have been able to unblock your dates.