charging guest that wants to stay past check out ( rest of day) but not another night.

charging guest that wants to stay past check out ( rest of day) but not another night.

I have a group coming to stay for two nights. They just asked if they could  extend the check out time til the end of the day.  How do you all handle that? I told her they could have an extra hour beyond the normal check out with no charge but if they want to stay for the day ( to go to beach etc) a partial charge would apply. Should that be a half day charge? 

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kate898 it sounds as though you've been kind in allowing an extra hour.

It also sounds kind to let them pay extra pro rata.

I would question whether you'll ever get the extra money though, and unless your place is uber expensive, why they don't just book another night and take their time.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kate898 When I have no booking on the date they check out, I may let them to leave luggage in the living room to pick them up late. But I will not let them to stay late. 

Unless you have something specifically mentioned in your house rules for charging late checkout fees, it is going to be hard to get the money and you may have the risk to get a bad review if you request extra fee.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kate898 I would tell them that to guarantee availability they must extend their stay by another night, since a check-out that late would prevent that night from being booked. I probably wouldn't do a partial charge; if they want to take their chances, the night ends up not booked, and it works with my schedule I might just allow it.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Kate898   Since they haven't arrive yet there is still time to use the resolution option. If you are sure you are willing to let them stay and not pay for another whole night. Because the flights to our city are in the evening if I know I'm not going to get a booking then I let the guest pay half price and stay late. But I make sure and get the money through the resolution option first! 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Beth80 , @Lisa723 , @Alice595  @Mike-And-Helen0  have all given you advice. Here’s my take and mindset change....

Hi @Kate898

You need to do what works for YOU and how you run your Airbnb space. Only you need to know those details...

Considerations for me:  I live on site and launder and clean the space myself. 

I always discuss checkout before checkout day, and this alleviates any misunderstandings or poor and rushed decision making and communication with the guest. I then recount the conversation on the Airbnb message site so it is documented. 

I have just extended my current guest’s checkout by four hours, free of charge, as they are catching a long haul international flight, coming off a conference. 

They have had almost a two week stay and I have had a good payout. I consider in these circumstances it’s good will.

- but I have previously blocked the calendar for the couple of days in between their checkout and the next incoming guest, so no turnover issues.

- I won’t clean till the following day as my own social calendar is busy. I can start the laundry when they leave.

==========

BUT  when it doesn’t affect MY personal commitments or cleaning schedule,  I work to suit both our needs. Consider it as an extra service, rather than an inconvenience. Sure, I can’t clean at midnight (or won’t), or welcome new guests, but I wasn’t going to anyway..... it won’t affect my cleaning and my other non Airbnb work commitments.

What works for me:

1.  Generally, if someone has an evening flight, I offer a half day rate.  That day is already blocked on my calendar, as my preparation day. 

2.  I then go into my calendar and ensure the following day is also blocked, to avoid any fast fingered instant bookers..... ( I have a minimum of 2 night stay)

3.  I then change the preceding day’s rate to the agreed half day rate. ( the check out day)

4.  Then I send a change of date reservation, which gets accepted. Easy peasy for MY NEEDS. 

5.  They are very happy, I get a half day $$ bonus that I would not have got, and this usually makes you a “better” host in the review process.

For me, it’s a win - win.

Thank you all for the input, it is very helpful.

At this point, once I mentioned the ability to pay for a partial day,  I have not heard back from them. No doubt they felt I might/should just give them the extra half day. If they had been staying longer I would have, but for a two day booking for 6 women, it is just not fair to expect that from me with the extra use of showers, towels, etc.  

BTW, I had already given them a small discount on the booking as it was. 

I normally allowed guest to stay few hours to match their flight back sometimes when they ask for it, in your case the ladies wanted to extend their enjoy the beach to the full, I would have defenitely charge them an extra night because Rbnb is priced per night no matter what the reason !

Sounds good @Kate898. You are working within your parameters, assuring the agenda is being set by you!  👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼