contacting guests about low star rating

Donna708
Level 2
Boise, ID

contacting guests about low star rating

Is it ok to ask guests why they gave me less than 5 stars for certain things? IE: 5 stars for everything but accuracy, or cleanliness etc... My house has been described by many as "immaculate." I've cleaned for a living for the past 30 y.rs so I know what I'm doing. It drives me insane when I get less than 5 stars for cleanliness. I really want to ask them if they could explain to me what wasn't clean. Also my listing states that 'window air conditioners keep the house nice and cool." A recent guest raved about how awesome the house is but then gave me 4 stars for accuracy because she "wasn't aware that it had window air conditioners" and that it was fine but she "wished she'd known."   Grrr..... I really want to send her a message and point out that she should read the whole listing.  

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow, @Donna708  you have over 250 reviews with a very high rating!  With all these reviews  have you ever thought to clarify something that is incorrect in a response?  It appears that you have overwhelmingly positive reviews, so if you think there is value in getting more feedback about guest perspective on cleanliness or accuracy you could send a private message to the guest.  I have found that a guest perspective can sometimes be surprising and it helps me tweak the listing description.

@Linda108  I just wasn't sure if I should contact the guest and ask about their star rating or point out to them that in the future they should read the whole house description so they aren't surprised by anything when they get there.  I would, of course, say this very nicely.  😉 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Donna708 

I've contacted  a few guests after the reviews have posted to ask about a lower than expected rating. 50/50 if they even respond. But those that do have been very nice and forthcoming.

I always say something like I noticed that our "kitchen cleanliness" /check in/towels was a concern for you in your feedback. Can you message me  and tell me a bit more about this so I can do better next time? 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Donna708 

Yes. I think you should send the guest a professional message asking them to elaborate on their choice of star ratings so you can "improve." What do you have to lose? I also don't see anything wrong with messaging the AC lady. "XX thanks for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry if you were surprised by the window AC units. I try to make this clear in my listing description so there are no surprises. Wishing you all the best."

Just make sure that you don't click the "reply" to the review button. Send the message in the direct message thread.