coronavirus

Answered!
Susie-and-Miles0
Level 2
Brinsmead, Australia

coronavirus

We haves guest coming from China? I am considering cancelling their booking out of concern for my family with regards to the Coronavirus. What would the ramifications be with my superhost rating?

Thanks in advance.

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Susie-and-Miles0 @Elly23 @Marina797 @Marie1341  there is another thread on this CC with more answers and suggestions so go and find it.

Airbnb recently decided to hide the city where Chinese guests come from but keep it visible for all other guests from all over the world. Obviously, ABB don't want their hosts to cancel guests from the infected area. But, you can take a reverse phone number search to see where your guests are from, it's here https://www.emobiletracker.com/free-trace-china.html

View Best Answer in original post

84 Replies 84
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Just read that they have now a confirmed case in Beijing. This thing is going to be spreading fast. Airbnb needs to change the policy they just put out of it only covering guests from Wuhan.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Change it's policy to what exactly though @Sarah977 ?

There are cases being reported from many places including Canada, the US and Australia. Will hosts  such as the ones who have posted here, start banning guests from any country with reported cases?

Should Airbnb have a policy of allowing cancellations from hosts of say any guest travelling from Canada or the US. Where is the line drawn?

Sadly there are many infectious diseases throughout the world spread by both animal to human and human to human contact, but some get much more media attention than others. 

Some of the media coverage about this virus is simply scaremongering and sensationalist.

This is the latest advice from the World Health Organisation

https://www.who.int/ith/2020-27-01-outbreak-of-Pneumonia-caused-by-new-coronavirus/en/

And here is an article from The Guardian, which is known for a more factual style of journalism.

https://www.who.int/ith/2020-27-01-outbreak-of-Pneumonia-caused-by-new-coronavirus/en/

@Helen3  I don't really know what an appropriate policy would be- it's a tough one. It just seems not on-point for Airbnb to be limiting free cancellations to only one province in China when the virus has now been spread globally. Maybe they should just let any hosts or guests who are freaked out about this cancel without penalty for awhile until the hysteria over this subsides.

I totally agree, though, that the media creates panic over something that in the big picture has affected a small percentage of the population, even in Wuhan. As I mentioned in another post, we're exposed to all manner of bacteria and viruses on a daily basis unless we never go out in public- whether one actually contracts something has to do, in large part on how healthy one's immune system is, whether they are in a vulnerable category, like old folks, babies, and those whose health is already compromised, and what hygiene practices they have. A friend of mine told me when she travelled in India, she was the only traveller she met there who never got sick- she carried a spray bottle of Dettol with her and sprayed every door knob and railing, etc, before she touched it and washed her feet in Dettol and water every night.

THANK YOU, @Helen3 , for being a voice of reason here.  Coronavirus deaths represent approximately 0.00005% of the annual worldwide deaths THE FLU causes.  People are losing their minds over this but don't even line up for their annual flu shots, it's ridiculous.  I wouldn't be worried about guests unless they were coming right from Wuhan...and even then?  Meh.

Well said!

Yeh and you would spread this due to selfishness. 

**[Inappropriate content hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Who are you talking to @Bluedoodleol0 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Stop with your racist comments personal comments  @Bluedoodleol0 

Are you feeling uncomfortable. Im not racist in the slightest. Just talking in general.

Also to let you know I could be booked every day of the week. I get millions of bookings.  I  I give the very best for my guests I can. I have a laugh with staff if I have to call them with probs and im pretty sure with the corona virus we will sort it. Im not racist and Airbnb know that. 

You have an excellent point on changing policy and changing it to what?

I worked in Toronto, Canada, in 2003, and 44 Canadians died of SARS that year. That is horrible, and there were 800 deaths globally.  However, also in Canada, 2,000 people die in car accidents annually, and 3,500 die from the seasonal flu. I fully understand those risks, and yet I still drive my car and will go out in public without a mask.

The media is sharing the information and humans focus on the negative. But I have to ask myself if I just take regular hand washing, sanitizing surfaces and being cautious the odds are overwhelming that we will be fine.

Are you mad what are you getting some money from Airbnb to say this. This virus is highly infectious and if you take guests who have been exposed to this they may be harbouring the virus without symptoms.

You have the responsibility to take this seriously and obviously there dosent need to be panic but you have to be careful. You may be young and not at risk but its selfish to pass it to older people who may die.  Get a grip and be sensible instead of so greedy for money

The line is drawn where you feel comfortable putting old people and people who have compaimised immune systems at risk because that's what you are doing. Its blatantly obvious this virus spreads rapidly and may not be life threatening to young and strong people but it is fatal for older people. Are you desperate to host?

Why are you hosting. Just be safe stop for now!!!

Just follow your countries policies and you wont get guests if its not safe. Im being told not to take guests from places in Italy  and it will prob increase soon. Prob same in UK soon unfortunately you are going to have cancellations but never mind its all good. Maybe get a job somewhere to cover for this.