coronavirus

Answered!
Susie-and-Miles0
Level 2
Brinsmead, Australia

coronavirus

We haves guest coming from China? I am considering cancelling their booking out of concern for my family with regards to the Coronavirus. What would the ramifications be with my superhost rating?

Thanks in advance.

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Susie-and-Miles0 @Elly23 @Marina797 @Marie1341  there is another thread on this CC with more answers and suggestions so go and find it.

Airbnb recently decided to hide the city where Chinese guests come from but keep it visible for all other guests from all over the world. Obviously, ABB don't want their hosts to cancel guests from the infected area. But, you can take a reverse phone number search to see where your guests are from, it's here https://www.emobiletracker.com/free-trace-china.html

View Best Answer in original post

84 Replies 84

Well done lady you are sensible. We had a dentist on radio today in Ireland and she has said she wont travel as it is selfish to put peole at risk. Ie the elderly etc. Id be listening to her before  Airbnb staff in the Phillipines!!!!

Hello Robin, 

I am a reporter with the Los Angeles Times who is writing a story on the coronavirus and how it is impacting guests and hosts. Would you be willing to share your experiences and concerns ? If so, I can be reached at andrew.khouri@latimes.com. Appreciate any time you have, 

Andrew Khouri

Andrew1896
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

Hello, I am a reporter with the Los Angeles Times who is writing a story on the coronavirus and how it is impacting guests and hosts. Would anyone here be willing to share your experiences and concerns ? If so, I can be reached at andrew.khouri@latimes.com. Appreciate any time you have, 

Andrew Khouri

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I don't think any of us will be able to have a general policy that will be sensible because the situation is ever changing.  That being said, if you as a host have a great deal of discomfort, you should cancel.  Super host is not worth your being so uncomfortable.

I agree totally with you. No one understands properly but as it stands I think it is extremelly selfish to travel for non urgent reasons to land yourself in airbnbs putting hosts at risk. The majority of people travelling on Airbnb are young but the hosts are often elderly have families etc. Don't put people at risk for your own gratitude.

Thank you.  I'm feeling uncomfortable with allowing any additional guests in my home right now.

Time to get real -

my brother is profoundly disabled and will be in the 2% Of fatalities therefore air bnb to be clear - I will decide who stays at my property and not a policy that clearly is safeguarding profit.

i will not be bullied by threats of knocking down my ratings .... you have a duty of care ..... you have a morale & ethical duty to those of us that create wealth for you year in year out.

if we cancel a booking on safety grounds and we are penalised get ready for some serious bad press.

really surprised at the stance & thought that air bnb were a family & bigger than that .... piece said 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No-one is bullying you @Kevin1751 . If you don't feel comfortable hosting guests from the US, Canada, UK, Italy, France, China or wherever else the Corona virus is prevalent, then snooze your listing and don't accept anymore booking until the summer when the virus is likely to be irradicated with the warmer weather.

What booking did you want to cancel which Airbnb would not let you do so, under it's EC policy for the Corona Virus?

Of course in the UK many are infected with the Flu Virus each year,  which is easily transmittable (many, many more than have the Corona Virus)  so if you feel your brother is at risk of the Coronavirus  or other viruses such as the flu you probably want to consider not hosting each winter to help protect his health

It’s not about snoozing the listing it’s having the super host status impacted by having to cancel a booking which as stated is our right in this unprecedented situation. Flu is present every year , but it doesn’t wipe hundreds of billions over night off the financial markets & doesn’t collapse industries & cause airlines to go bust. My stance is that flexible cancellation for situations such as pandemics should not impact our score - that’s what irritates me.

I totally agree with you. I blocked my calendar today till the end of July. I still have reservation from France and two from Canada. Those were made before this madness with coronavirus started. These reservations do not fall under EC policy. I live in a small village in Costa Rica, I don't want to bring any tourists to my community, it even may be frown upon by locals. Now in addition to loosing income, if I cancel these three reservations, I will have to pay penalty and loose the super host status.

This super complicated EC policy introduced by Airbnb is ridiculous. It should be as simple as that: "DUE TO WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC ALL HOSTS THAT FEEL UNSAFE, MAY CANCEL RESERVATIONS WITHOUT ANY PENALTY." Now they require documentation, note from a doctor or what not. Unreal and ridiculous.

Another thing, I can see people talking about how many people die from ordinary flu, car accidents, etc. THAT IS NOT A POINT. Like Kevin said, it is about the regulations imposed by governments now, because of coronavirus. I don't want to end up in the hospital or on quarantine just because I hosted someone from Europe recently and started to sneeze shortly after that. 

@Helen3 Snoozing do not solve a problem of existing reservations.

"Snoozing or unlisting your listing doesn't affect your confirmed reservations. To deactivate a listing, you'll need to complete all current reservations."

I have 2 reservations from Canada and 1 from France. The penalties are:

"If this is done prior to seven days before the guest is to check in, then the penalty will be $50. If the proprietor cancels within one week, there will be a penalty fee of $100."

And I will lose my super host status.

So far EC includes only Italy, US, China mainland, and South Korea. So no, as far as I know, I can't cancel my reservations without paying penalties and loosing super host status. I blocked my calendar till the end of July, but still my problem are upcoming reservations.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Bluedoodleol0   you made two sets of racist (anti-US) and personal remarks about @Danielle476  who ironically from your point of view is actually Canadian.

The anti US comments I called you out on were; 

1. Yeh and you would spread this due to selfishness. Typical of americans you have no right to be quoting figures 

2.But, you just look like the run of mill American middle aged woman from your pic.

And because I called you out on it  and said your comments had no role in a community which has inclusion and diversity at its heart, you sent me this delightful personal message.

"Im delighted I sent tht message whats your problem let everyone get a virus so I can be a Airbnb super person?? Get lost you fool"  (spelling errors yours, not mine).

@Lizzie 

Helen my heart is broken that you would think I am racist . Im not at all and Airbnb know that. Ive hosted for nearly 5 yrs people from all over the world and diverse cultures and have nearly a 100 percent 5 stars.

I think you have read this all wrong and if you feel a bit of of a threat  please  feel free to discuss your issues with me. It would never be my intention to discriminate. Id just like to be a participant in the chat room !!!!

I also think you look lovely and kind in your pic and im sure if I stayed at your home it would be a brilliant host experience.

You don't look at all like a middle aged woman you def look in your teens to early 20s and def like you would host anyone from all over the world despite their situation and prob would give a huge discount no matter where they are from you would host them, Am I right?