covid related cancellations and no host help

Lisa6632
Level 2
New York, NY

covid related cancellations and no host help

Hello out there, I am a super host frustrated with the new extenuating circumstances policy (of which hosts never received any emailed communication about updates, only emails regarding new "upgrades" to their platform). I recently had a guest contract covid 4 days prior to check in. While it is always a sadness to know someone needs to cancel or alter due to covid, when I called ABB to receive guidance they explained the policy has been updated to offer full refunds to guests. There are zero protections or compensation for the host who will not be able to rebook cancelled reservations, especially in under a week- a hardship for those in need of the income.

The original extenuating circumstance policy allowed for penalty free covid related cancellations and gave 25% to off set host's losses- this was when the pandemic was in it's first year. After this, and since the world was in full knowledge, the policy returned to the host's cancellation policy (flexible/moderate/strict) and the burden fell on the guest taking the risk knowing that policy before booking. This was for bookings made after March 2020.

I have personally offered guests needing to cancel, knowing they booked with the chance of covid related issues, special offers from a portion of their non-refundable payment going towards a new booking or adding a day on a future stay, but this was within my own control.

Now guests can cancel at any point, right to the very day and if ABB's policy is to refund, there absolutely needs to be compensation for hosts. We are their assets and they aren't helping. I understand the need for everyones health and safety, and agree, but ABB needs to help both sides of their business. It surprises me they have yet to partner with a travel insurance company, allowing guests the opportunity to make the decision to protect their travel. If I was to book a flight or hotel, I would certainly do so and would not dispute the risk I took booking a non-refundable hotel.

Is anyone out there going through the same issues with these new variants?

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lisa6632 

There are 2 cancellation policies regarding "extenuating circumstances", the normal one and a special one related to COVID . Both policies limited the options for full refund after the changes.

The normal one changed already a year ago (20 januari), and the change was communicated by Airbnb.

The one for Covid now only gives full refund if a Host or a Guest is infected. This limitation was also communicated by Airbnb.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

Lisa6632
Level 2
New York, NY

This I read, but did you ever receive a direct email? I reviewed all of mine and haven't found one related to any updates to the EC. They communicate very well when it is to share all of the new and wonderful upgrades to their platform but...

@Lisa6632   I agree. Travel insurance would solve the problem for all involved: the host, the guest, and Airbnb.

Lisa6632
Level 2
New York, NY

I think we should move the conversation to travel insurance, just like booking a flight at check out. If hosts/ABB were to add a link to their booking requirements or decline and opt out of refund, everyone is legally whole. https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-pandemic-travel-insurance/

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Lisa6632 @Amanda1775 and all, 

First of all, thanks for all your feedback on this earlier this year! You'll be happy to know we've announced some changes to the Covid Extenuating Circumstances policy recently - you can read up more on them and let us know what you think here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Update-to-our-approach-for-guests-sick-with-COVID...

Thanks 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

What is the current refund policy for Covid, I have a guest who wants to cancel a day before arrival (just tested positive). I have moderate refund policy. If moderate cancelation policy is still in effect they receive fifty percent back is that right...