customers trying to book a blocked out date

Parker46
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

customers trying to book a blocked out date

We are getting several requests where people are saying that our calendar shows that our unit is available when, in fact, some dates are blocked out.  They tell me that they are making reservations on the AirBNB site.  But their requests do NOT show on our inbox.  Any ideas?  Possible scamming?

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Parker46 

A very confusing post....

A booking request can only be made  if the desired dates are available.

So what kind of "several requests" are you receiving ? Must be inquiries i guess.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Parker46  I agree that your post is confusing. First of all, as Emiel said, guests can't enter dates on a booking request that show as unavailable on your calendar. So these guests are sending requests which have those dates showing?

Or are these inquiries, not requests, with the guest just asking for certain dates and telling you they see them as available?

And how are you receiving these messages if they aren't in your inbox? This makes no sense.

I see you are a new host, so maybe you don't understand how requests and inquiries work, or the difference between them?

Parker46
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

You are correct! It makes no sense that these messages come not coming to the inbox in our browser driven Airbnb interface.  But some of them are coming to our private email.  Guests are telling us that they have confirmed reservations for dates that are clearly taken or blocked.

@Parker46  Guests have no access to your private email address unless you give it to them after a booking is confirmed. Even if they had a valid booking, the only personal contact info shown to guests after a booking is confirmed is your phone number.

There is something else going on here that I think has nothing to do with your Airbnb account. These are scammers who somehow got your email address. You need to figure out how and where.

First you called these "requests", which to any host here means it is a booking request in your Airbnb inbox. If you want help to figure this out, you need to be clear about exactly what is happening. For instance, in your original post you never said these are emails off the platform. Now you say "some" are emails. Where are you seeing the other ones if you aren't reading them in your Airbnb inbox?

@Parker46  On a completely different topic, what does your listing mean "Private room in Guest Suite?" That sounds like guests only get a bedroom in a suite that someone else lives in. It's either a Private Room in a home that is shared with others, or it's a Guest Suite. It can't be both at the same time.

And you have no description of the space at all. Talking about the area and the wildlife isn't a property description. As it stands, I would have no idea of what you are actually renting.

Is the suite attached to the home where you live? You need to make all of this clear in your listing info.