damages from tenant deposit

Answered!
Tony1355
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

damages from tenant deposit

We have had our first tenant and they have made damages about 60-80 euros. how do we claim them from the deposit ?

Any help appreciated

1 Best Answer

thanks for this Andrew. I totally understand what you are saying. Damages are hard to claim/ not worth it for low amounts.

Your advice is appreciated

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2

@Tony1355   Crash course in Airbnb deposits:  they don't actually exist. Doesn't matter if you specified one in your listing; Airbnb did not charge or hold this money from the guests. 

Here is the procedure for initiating a request for guests to pay for damage:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

In the likely event that the guest declines the charge and denies the damage, you will need clear evidence of the damage (photos, repair invoices) and ideally receipts confirming the value of the damaged item. Even if Airbnb decides in your favor, it might be for a lower amount than you asked, accounting for depreciation etc. Also, a likely consequence of entering into a dispute with your first guest is that the sole review on your new listing will be negative. You have to decide for yourself whether recouping up to 80 EUR is worth all of this to you.

thanks for this Andrew. I totally understand what you are saying. Damages are hard to claim/ not worth it for low amounts.

Your advice is appreciated