declining requests

Answered!

declining requests

I have declined multiple requests  but the reason was that they did not read my house rules or the multiple times I noted in the listings that the condo was

NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12

I described on the refusals the reason for the refusals but I just got the following message

Merrily2_0-1641215443881.png
You declined your last 3 reservation requests. Keep in mind that hosts who decline an excessive number of reservation requests may have their listings suspended and removed from search results. Learn more

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Merrily2 

So much conflicting information. No, you do not want to let the request expire as that will affect your Superhost status. You need to keep your response rate over 90%.

It is better to decline than to accept a guest that is going to be problematic or to let the request expire.

I agree with @Lawrene0 that the best tactic is to ask the guest to withdraw the request. I find that most do it. I have had several requests from people with children, even though my listing clearly states that I don't host kids. Sometimes they try to argue with me but, in the end, they usually do withdraw the request.

If they refuse, then sure, you may need to decline. If they are not responsive, wait until just before the deadline to decline. In the latter case, I often send a reminder ton the guest explaining that hosts have a limited time to accept or decline and, seeing as I am unable to host them, it would be better if they withdraw the request by X time so they won't be charged, especially as I have no power to refund their Airbnb fees. This usually does the trick!

If you use IB, remember you do also have three penalty free cancellations a year for instant bookings.

Also, I have repeatedly been told by CS that the acceptance rate doesn't matter too much. It is not a measurement for Superhost and Airbnb will only suspend hosts who decline a lot of guests. However, it may have an impact on your position in the search results.

I would always prefer my acceptance rate to go down than to host guests I know will be a bad fit, problematic and leave less than a 5 star review.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

One strategy when this happens, @Merrily2 , is to write to the requesting guest explaining why you have to say no, and asking them to withdraw the request. I know some hosts word that part of it this way: "Please withdraw your request so your credit card will not be charged." 

They won't always, but it save your declines.

@Lawrene0  this was great advice..... and it has already helped me once........

I really can tell me what to do here.

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NEVER NEVER CANCELLED A RESERVATION

HERE IS THE MESSAGE FROM AIRBNB PENALIZING ME FOR DECLINING REQUESTES !!!

Email_icon_warn@2x
You declined your last 3 reservation requests. Keep in mind that

HOSTS WHO DECLINE AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF RESERVATION REQUESTS MAY HAVE THEIR LISTINGS SUSPENDED and removed from search results. Learn more

PREVIOUS Airbnb message

Hi,
My name is Massimo, an Airbnb Expert and a Superhost in Rome.
Happy to assist you!
If you don't feel comfortable, you can decline.

DECLINING A REQUEST DOESN'T IMPACT NEGATIVELY ON YOUR RATINGS AND YOU WON'T BE PENALISED.
ONLY CANCELING CONFIRMED BOOKINGS IMPACTS NEGATIVELY ON YOUR RATINGS AND YOU ARE PENALISEd.

…………………………….;

This was RECEIVED last week –

My name is Andreea G, Airbnb Manager, thank you for answering my call and was lovely speaking with you today.

Thank you for being an amazing Host and part of our community, we really appreciate your hard work and dedication.

As I mentioned on the call, if you receive booking requests from guests who may not have fully read your house rules or description, meaning that a reservation with them will not be possible,

PLEASE DO NOT DECLINE THE BOOKING REQUEST,

as the system doesn't know the reason you declined it, and YOU MAY END UP HAVING THE LISTING SUSPENDED for a certain time of period. The reason for this is that a Host that declines often booking requests, it's not a committed Host that can offer a wonderful experience for guests. Of course this is not your case.

AS A QUICK REMINDER, IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT OR DECLINE A BOOKING REQUEST, AFTER 24 HOURS IT WILL TURN INTO "NO LONGER POSSIBLE" STATUS, THAT WILL BLOCK THOSE SPECIFIC DATES ON YOUR CALENDAR. BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS GO ON THE CALENDAR AND MAKE THEM AVAILABLE.

I want to thank you again for your time today, 

@Lawrene0 wrote:

One strategy when this happens, @Merrily2 , is to write to the requesting guest explaining why you have to say no, and asking them to withdraw the request. I know some hosts word that part of it this way: "Please withdraw your request so your credit card will not be charged." 

They won't always, but it save your declines.

Wishing you all the best,
Andreea G,
Airbnb Manager

……………….

This was receved 10 january 2022

Airbnb Support4:56 PM

I'm so glad it worked!

Again I HAVE NEVER CANCELLED A RESERVATION…………………..

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH DECLINING RESERVATIONS, …………..the site is measuring the cancellation rate, which means how many times a host cancels reservations after he accepts them.

The other thing related to this action is the response rate, which measures how many requests the host responds to,

AND FOR THIS REASON IS BETTER TO DECLINE ( OR TO ACCEPT) IN ORDER TO GIVE A RESPONSE, AND NOT LET THE LET THE REQUEST EXPIRE.

In order for you to keep your beautiful status of Superhost, your cancellation rate should not be less than 1% which means one cancellation per 100 reservations and also having the response rate above 90%.

You can check your performance on your profile, by accessing Superhost.
Follow this link for a simplest way to get there:

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Merrily2 

So much conflicting information. No, you do not want to let the request expire as that will affect your Superhost status. You need to keep your response rate over 90%.

It is better to decline than to accept a guest that is going to be problematic or to let the request expire.

I agree with @Lawrene0 that the best tactic is to ask the guest to withdraw the request. I find that most do it. I have had several requests from people with children, even though my listing clearly states that I don't host kids. Sometimes they try to argue with me but, in the end, they usually do withdraw the request.

If they refuse, then sure, you may need to decline. If they are not responsive, wait until just before the deadline to decline. In the latter case, I often send a reminder ton the guest explaining that hosts have a limited time to accept or decline and, seeing as I am unable to host them, it would be better if they withdraw the request by X time so they won't be charged, especially as I have no power to refund their Airbnb fees. This usually does the trick!

If you use IB, remember you do also have three penalty free cancellations a year for instant bookings.

Also, I have repeatedly been told by CS that the acceptance rate doesn't matter too much. It is not a measurement for Superhost and Airbnb will only suspend hosts who decline a lot of guests. However, it may have an impact on your position in the search results.

I would always prefer my acceptance rate to go down than to host guests I know will be a bad fit, problematic and leave less than a 5 star review.

Wow @Huma0 thanks for sharing, I have just started Airbnb and was literally atatcked by many people with zero reviwes and suspitious profiles. I had decline 3 times for last 3 days. I am worried now.

@Lawrene0 @Huma0  Thanks, I really appreciate your help in this confusion. I won't go IB because I am always playing with my prices to make sure I get the right ones.?? 

I tried price labs but that didn't work too well. I have a ski condo that is totally like scores of others in the complex. thanks again. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Merrily2 

You can still play with your prices when you use IB, but if you find that you don't need it, I wouldn't bother turning it on. I only use it because, without it, my listings get lost in the search results. I wish I didn't need to use it at all.

If by price labs you mean Airbnb's pricing suggestions, then you should just ignore those. They are always too low. The best way to decide on your prices is by checking out the local competition and also by thinking about what kind of guests you want to attract.

@Huma0 @Lawrene0  @Veronika201   The  Pricelabs I am talking about is a separate entity (app would you call it?) EXCELLENT and many of the owners in the ski area use it but and it's much better though time consuming - for me to figure it out myself by looking at the others in my immediate surroundings 

Thanks for the excellent advice on the refusing requests – I have asked the 2 people who requested without reading the listing to withdraw and they have.
Without Instant book I am high on the list of ‘comparables’ anyway AGREED Airbnb prices are very very low.

@Veronika201  re refusing requests - and no review people...

. I have a condo at a ski condo complex and just down the hall INCOGNITO !! so she wont be bothered is my 'manager' who would know if there was a problem. I have accepted many no review and new airbnb guests and I have 'met' really great people. When I accept them I make sure they realize the problems that may arise like noise after 10pm, ALL smoking, skis in the condo etc etc and I have been pleasantly surprised. Plus I am in contact with them a lot messages etc and I have NEVER been disappointed. 

I m out of the country so my contact is email messages but I have had trouble only twice with highly reviewed, and many years on airbnb guests. But I mostly have two and three night stays since this is a ski area.

Hi Merril, thanks for your input. Will keep in mind.