destruction

Marie6360
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

destruction

I had a guest lie about checking in with his 'Wife' then leave the unit in the middle of the night, the woman invited another man over, and they ransacked, vandalized and robbed me. There is an open police investigation. Airbnb has done nothing. It's been over a week, and I keep getting told it's been escalated to urgent and sensitive but nothing happens. Now the man is threatening that 'things will get ugly' if I don't drop the claim. He's still out there able to book another place and do this to someone else.

I've been a host for years, have over 500 5 star reviews and still nothing from Airbnb. Is this not totally crazy? I have a $500 damage deposit and they haven't even released that. I've had to cancel and move guests as the place was destroyed but Airbnb is silent. So much for their insurance policy. In 500 plus guests I've made one other claim that was 7500 in damages that Airbnb finally paid many months after I called many, many times, sent tons of photos of the man getting arrested, etc. I'm beginning to think they ignore you until you give up. I've talked to a lawyer and am making a case, but mainly this guy is out there completely able to rent another place.. Crazy. 

14 Replies 14
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marie6360 

So sorry to hear about this. Keep fighting it. It may take a while but Airbnb need to step up. Yes, I think you are right in that they hope that you will just get frustrated and give up.

I have heard that contacting them via social media, especially Twitter, can be more effective than contacting customer services. I don't know from personal experience, but that's often stated here on the CC.

Failing that, you could go to your local news media to force Airbnb to take action. The media seem to love stories about guests trashing Airbnbs.

Hi @Huma0 

Thanks for your message. I’m reluctant to leave a review for this man due to the threats. It’s a tough situation because the claim department of Airbnb has been silent despite the fact I have over 500 five star reviews and have been a host for years. They have not even released the 500 damage deposit I have which makes no sense to me. I’m not sure what the point of having a damage deposit is if it is not used when damage is done.

The safety department did finally respond after over ten calls and many many hours on hold. I am waiting for word now. As far as I know, the ‘guest’ who did this is still on the site and able to rent units, this despite an open police investigation and report. I have tried to tell them repeatedly that I feel he is a danger.

The Globe and Mail (Canada’s national newspaper) did interview me about Airbnb at the start of the pandemic, and I have been in touch with them to do a follow-up story about how this has all been handled. Obviously, Airbnb has handled this situation terribly and I’m ready to tell the whole story. Tomorrow it will be two weeks. Absolutely, crazy in my opinion. The ‘Insurance’ they advertise so widely seems to only come in effect if you are willing to fight for it.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Marie6360 

I'm so sorry to hear about the damage caused by your guest in this case.

I've just spoken to CS about your case and sent you an update via DM - take a look when you get a second.

It's been two weeks and I have yet to hear from the claim department in spite of having an active police investigation and report, sending photos and pleading multiple times for help. The man who did this is still on the airbnb platform able to rent other units. 

Thanks for your message. I’m reluctant to leave a review for this man due to the threats. It’s a tough situation because the claim department of Airbnb has been silent despite the fact I have over 500 five star reviews and have been a host for years. They have not even released the 500 damage deposit I have which makes no sense to me. I’m not sure what the point of having a damage deposit is if it is not used when damage is done.

The safety department did finally respond after over ten calls and many many hours on hold. I am waiting for word now. As far as I know, the ‘guest’ who did this is still on the site and able to rent units, this despite an open police investigation and report. I have tried to tell them repeatedly that I feel he is a danger.

The Globe and Mail (Canada’s national newspaper) did interview me about Airbnb at the start of the pandemic, and I have been in touch with them to do a follow-up story about how this has all been handled. Obviously, Airbnb has handled this situation terribly and I’m ready to tell the whole story. Tomorrow it will be two weeks. Absolutely, crazy in my opinion. The ‘Insurance’ they advertise so widely seems to only come in effect if you are willing to fight for it. Perhaps you can tell me the point of having a damage deposit when it does not come into effect when damage is done.

The "safety' division of Airbnb encouraged me to leave the man who threatened me a review, even though I explianed that I felt uncomfortable doing that due to the threats. But it seems that Airbnb requires hosts to prove and prove and prove their case, even when it is clearly dangerous. Two weeks later and he is still up on the platform, and I have yet to hear from the claims department. The way Airbnb has handles this is a disgrace. 

This is my review:

Paul rented my place for one night with a woman he said was his ‘wifey.’ I awoke to messages that he had left at 5 am in the morning saying that he had to leave quickly, to get his ‘rommie’ out and to hang onto his cooler. 

Fifteen minutes later Paul buzzed me and together we went over to the unit. She opened the door for him. I stood in horror at what I saw. The locked closet doors had been ripped open, my locked dresser that belonged to my grandfather had been broken into, the locks on the drawers destroyed, my entire home ransacked and my valuables packed in my own bags to steal. She was clearly high on drugs. 

A man I had not seen rose from my bed, and he and the woman fled. They stole all the money I had locked in my closet. They even stole my laundry money. They butted out cigarettes all over my unit, broke glasses, cut open my box spring, and left a crack pipe in the bathroom. Paul has threatened that ‘bad things will happen to me’ if I don’t drop the claim and the case. The police have an investigation underway. There are cameras on the entrances and exits to the building. The police have video footage of Paul, his 'rommie' and the other man. I have hosted over 600 guests. This is the first negative review I have ever left. Paul is a liar and he is dangerous. 

The way Airbnb has handled this is a disgrace.
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What a terrible situation, @Marie6360 !  Besides expediting a claim, what else do you want Air BNB to do? Perhaps suspend the profile?  Of course you will write a very negative review, but if the guest does not write one, yours won't publish until 14 days later.

Depending on how explicit the threat is and whether you want to, it is illegal to threaten another person with bodily harm here in the US and I would think as well in Canada. Keep us posted and good luck!

hello @Linda108 

Hi Linda, Thanks for your message. I’m reluctant to leave a review for this man due to the threats. It’s a tough situation because the claim department of airbnb has been AWOL despite the fact I have over 500 five star reviews and have been a host for years. They have not even released the 500 damage deposit I have which makes no sense to me. I’m not sure what the point of having a damage deposit is if it is not used when damage is done.

The Globe and Mail (Canada’s national newspaper) did interview me about Airbnb at the start of the pandemic, and I have been in touch with them to do a follow-up story about how this has all been handled. Obviously, Airbnb has handled this situation terribly and I’m ready to tell the whole story. Tomorrow it will be two weeks. Absolutely, crazy in my opinion. The ‘Insurance’ they advertise so widely seems to only come in effect if you are willing to fight for it.

So sorry to hear about that horrible incident.  Hang in there, and don't give up.  I know it's easy to say, but just keep fighting, eventually you'll get what is right for you.  Wonder if it is possible to disclose the name or description of the suspects?  Appreciate you sharing the story with us, and please keep us posted.  

All the best, Stan and Juris

Hi @Stan-And-Juris0 

Marie6360
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

The "safety' division of Airbnb encouraged me to leave the man who threatened me a review, even though I explianed that I felt uncomfortable doing that due to the threats. But it seems that Airbnb requires hosts to prove and prove and prove their case, even when it is clearly dangerous. Two weeks later and he is still up on the platform, and I have yet to hear from the claims department. The way Airbnb has handles this is a disgrace. 

This is my review:

Paul rented my place for one night with a woman he said was his ‘wifey.’ I awoke to messages that he had left at 5 am in the morning saying that he had to leave quickly, to get his ‘rommie’ out and to hang onto his cooler. 

Fifteen minutes later Paul buzzed me and together we went over to the unit. She opened the door for him. I stood in horror at what I saw. The locked closet doors had been ripped open, my locked dresser that belonged to my grandfather had been broken into, the locks on the drawers destroyed, my entire home ransacked and my valuables packed in my own bags to steal. She was clearly high on drugs. 

A man I had not seen rose from my bed, and he and the woman fled. They stole all the money I had locked in my closet. They even stole my laundry money. They butted out cigarettes all over my unit, broke glasses, cut open my box spring, and left a crack pipe in the bathroom. Paul has threatened that ‘bad things will happen to me’ if I don’t drop the claim and the case. The police have an investigation underway. There are cameras on the entrances and exits to the building. The police have video footage of Paul, his 'rommie' and the other man. I have hosted over 600 guests. This is the first negative review I have ever left. Paul is a liar and he is dangerous. 

Kudos to you, @Marie6360 .  I, as a host, appreciate your bravery for posting this review.  I understand your apprehension in doing so.  I hope that soon you will get all this sorted out in your favor.  I do have concerns that a couple of statements might cause your review to be pulled due to the Content Policy.  One is your reference to the claim and the other is your opinion about the guest being a liar and dangerous.  While guest can lie about your listing, as long as it is not against the Content Policy, the review will stand.  I hope I am wrong.  We need brave hosts such as yourself.

Kathy1141
Level 2
San Diego, CA

By all means post this on Social media and share the criminals names here!

@Kathy1141  No, you can't post names of bad guests here. They will be removed.